Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
This one is a SW Gauntlet Gray.Its 275 Voc Precat Lacquer.It is tinted Vinyl sealer follows Gemini 10 degree clear Precat.
Sprayed with CA Tech Air Assisted Airless with 412 tip.9 psi fluid,32 psi pump.
Simple schedule and awesome outcome.Low sheen is so popular right now.
View attachment 112216
View attachment 112217
View attachment 112218
Looks great! Kudos on the prep.

Part of the reason I have never moved into lacquer is that I have had too many customers asking if I can repair chipped, cracked, and crazed finishes - especially in cabinets under the sink, and when used near windows (UV and Water damage- and also expansion/contraction issues). It looks great until it doesn't, and then it is difficult to repair.

Please forgive my naïveté, but has that improved in the past ten years? Are Lacquer finishes still susceptible to the above conditions?
Have they made it easier to touch-up...able to be touched up with a brush?

Thank you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Part of the reason I have never moved into lacquer is that I have had too many customers asking if I can repair chipped, cracked, and crazed finishes - especially in cabinets under the sink, and when used near windows (UV and Water damage- and also expansion/contraction issues). It looks great until it doesn't, and then it is difficult to repair.

Please forgive my naïveté, but has that improved in the past ten years? Are Lacquer finishes still susceptible to the above conditions?

Thank you.
Thank you Sir !
We are living in a country where there is more air regulations than any other close neighbors.
Since they work with high voc materials all we can find is 275 for solvent and 50 for water base.
I mean they dry almost instantly.For example this job you see.it is a commercial office kitchen.Not a home where family and children lives.Job took a day(prep,sand,spray and pull the masking and ready for door) with 1 person.
Repair or touch up a precat lacquer is fast and easy.Please do not confuse with Conversion Varnish.The reason most cabinet shops use precat lacquer for budget or mid range jobs.Fast,cheap and very easy to repair.
Not all the precat lacquers are formulated or made equally.The resin inside the solvent changes product to product.
i am not affiliated to any brand.i use what ever i find legally and protects my company name and my labor for at least 5 years without a problem.
Money determines the longevity not the look.I am a professional and i can use any cheap material and make it look like million bucks.But that does not mean it will not fail.
Also 275 voc is a weak material when you compare 550 or higher like other states use.we have voc regulations but they dont have.Go figure :)
Yes lacquer improved big time over years.the kind we use is precat.means it is acid cure and catlyst inside.dries fast and harder than the relatives.
Still not a good choice for kitchen or bathroom.All about what your customer wants and what you can use .
Like i say on the other topic i use different products to different job and different equipment's to different products.
This means i am not rich to purchase this much equipment.My neighbor buys a Sig 45 but i go and buy a Wagner spray gun :)) he spent money i make money.Do not misunderstand i love guns i just don't like buying similar 10 of them:)))
Oh another thing,there is no brush where time is money.We have prevail aerosol's or very small iwata airbrushes for small touch ups and spot repairs.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts

Thank you.
Doesn't matter if its axalta, mlcambell, rudd, SW etc the things you mention above are still applicable to NC based lacquers thats why the big push has been towards 1K/2K urethanes in the last decade. tinted lacquers are also semi transparent and need to exposed to sheer via spraying otherwise the color will come out different than if you just do a draw down. Typically when I'm matching tinted lacquers I spray a couple panels to ensure the color before it gets approved.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,924 Posts
It does look great. Although, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the amount of taping that is involved for such little surface area. That's where brushable products like Breakthrough or Advance come in handy. After the doors are off, there's only about 20 mins of brush work left. Obviously lacquers have to be sprayed, so I know why it was done this way. Looks fantastic though..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts