Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

81 - 100 of 719 Posts

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
Huh... I'm the first to point out that Joe Garagiola has passed away.
So do I win this thread for today?

·
Registered
563 Posts
My grandfather was a big fan of Joe. They were also alike in a number of ways--they even looked alike with the same semi-bald horseshoe hair thing. I think of Paw Paw often and did again today. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I remember Joe and Vin Scully and later Joe and Tony Kubeck doing the baseball games on Saturday when I was a kid. Joe was as baseball, applie pie, hot dogs and soda as you could get. His enthusiasm and love for the game was infectious, and part of the reason I watched the games. I can barely watch a game now, unless it is a World Series game. I will fall asleep as surely as if I were trying to sit through an entire nascar race.

·
Time Traveler
1,624 Posts
My grandfather was a big fan of Joe. They were also alike in a number of ways--they even looked alike with the same semi-bald horseshoe hair thing. I think of Paw Paw often and did again today. Thanks for posting.
I guess I shouldn't have been so disrespectful, I chose the wrong guy to try to be clever.
He's too loved by too many. He was kinda like an uncle or brother-in-law.

Now it might have been funnier with somebody like Garry Shandling.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Garry Shandling, one of the funnier comedians I've ever seen, dead at 66. Larry Sanders show is something I've watched the entire series of at least 3 times. Don't think my wife will stand a 4th.

RIP Garry. You SOB. :)

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/24/garry-shandling-dead/

I'll be dang. I think his best work was his voice-over as Vern the Turtle in the animated movie Over the Hedge. Bruce Willis was RJ the raccoon and Wanda Sykes plays Stella the Skunk.

My kids are 15 and 9 and that movie (a few years back) was darn funny.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I remember Joe and Vin Scully and later Joe and Tony Kubeck doing the baseball games on Saturday when I was a kid. Joe was as baseball, applie pie, hot dogs and soda as you could get. His enthusiasm and love for the game was infectious, and part of the reason I watched the games. I can barely watch a game now, unless it is a World Series game. I will fall asleep as surely as if I were trying to sit through an entire nascar race.

We got cable in '81, but prior to that the Saturday game of the week was almost always the Cincinnati Reds playing anybody. All us Birmingham boys were huge fans of Bench, Morgan, Foster, etc. Joe and Vin always did a jam up job with play by play and color analysis. Also liked Joe Buck with the Cardinals on KMOX radio and latter some of the Braves on radio and TBS. I don't follow baseball much any more, but did enjoy seeing the Royals in the Series. Good times.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
We got cable in '81, but prior to that the Saturday game of the week was almost always the Cincinnati Reds playing anybody. All us Birmingham boys were huge fans of Bench, Morgan, Foster, etc. Joe and Vin always did a jam up job with play by play and color analysis. Also liked Joe Buck with the Cardinals on KMOX radio and latter some of the Braves on radio and TBS. I don't follow baseball much any more, but did enjoy seeing the Royals in the Series. Good times.

Joe Buck was great. I used to watch a lot of the Braves and White Sox games down here in Florida, as they were shown much more than any other teams. Chip Carey was really good with the Braves games. But those were the good old days, like you said.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Wow. Patty Duke died earlier today at the age of 69.

I grew up watching the Patty Duke show as a kid and it's hard to believe that so many years have gone by, but even more shocking to hear that she was only 69 years old. RIP

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Love him or hate him, you have to admit he had a huge influence on the music of today. I would say a bigger influence overall then Micheal Jackson. Prince died today at 57.

Reactions: CApainter

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Bit of a shock isn't it. Never really cared for him when he was in his prime but a few years ago I got to hear some of his guitar playing on a couple of blues songs. Pretty impressive actually.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Bit of a shock isn't it. Never really cared for him when he was in his prime but a few years ago I got to hear some of his guitar playing on a couple of blues songs. Pretty impressive actually.
Prince was very popular in the eighties. I remember listening to his music while painting. I liked Little Red Corvette, and a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I also liked his off shoot musicians like The Time, Shiela E, and a host of others. Prince had the best music videos back then.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Prince was very popular in the eighties. I remember listening to his music while painting. I liked Little Red Corvette, and a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I also liked his off shoot musicians like The Time, Shiela E, and a host of others. Prince had the best music videos back then.
He made my girlfriend at the time good and horny so I have no complaints. Why I have no idea.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
He played in a nightclub my mother owned in Mpls., back around 1980 I think. I met him once there. Kinda funny watching him listening to my mother and understand her German accent. For that matter, it was kinda funny watching anyone trying to understand my mother and her accent...

Have to say, probably one of the most complete all around musicians ever though. So much talent.

81 - 100 of 719 Posts