Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Oil or Latex Primer

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Grimmleafer 
#1 ·
I have just had my basement ceilings finished with a knockdown texture. It was not primed beforehand. So, I now have to prime and paint. I went to 3 different paint stores and could not get a consistent answer as to the type of primer I need to use, being either oil or latex based. I was told a latex based will make the texture run and drip to the floor. Other place told me latex was fine so I am really confused and want to do it right. I believe the ceiling was done with a normal drywall mud just watered down a bit. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks again,

#2 ·
Latex Primer will work. PrepRite 200 or 400 by Sherwin Williams will be a good match.

Most latex primers will be sufficient for a ceiling.

was told a latex based will make the texture run and drip to the floor.
Never heard such a thing and I have done many New Construction (drywall applications) with latex primer. Now, the only place I would consider an oil primer on new ceiling drywall is in a shower.

J

#8 ·
I have just had my basement ceilings finished with a knockdown texture. It was not primed beforehand. So, I now have to prime and paint. I went to 3 different paint stores and could not get a consistent answer as to the type of primer I need to use, being either oil or latex based. I was told a latex based will make the texture run and drip to the floor. Other place told me latex was fine so I am really confused and want to do it right. I believe the ceiling was done with a normal drywall mud just watered down a bit. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks again,
:eek: Are you sure you are a painter???????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.