Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a project that is an exterior trim with high gloss oil. I spoke to the benjamin moore rep and he said he wouldnt trust any of their latex/acrylic products without a full primer coat. Alternately, another contractor said they would use Sherwin Williams Emerald exterior gloss paint without primer, just sanding. Would you trust this product with this method or will it fail?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I have a project that is an exterior trim with high gloss oil. I spoke to the benjamin moore rep and he said he wouldnt trust any of their latex/acrylic products without a full primer coat. Alternately, another contractor said they would use Sherwin Williams Emerald exterior gloss paint without primer, just sanding. Would you trust this product with this method or will it fail?
Sand, prime, top coat.

Does the other contractor offer a warranty? How long has he been in business for? How long has he been painting? What's his track record?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am bidding against this contractor, but I was going to go with Fine Paints Of Europe. I just think to not prime when converting to latex is a big mistake. The only thing I am unaware of is if The sherwin williams Emerald is some super human paint that you can skip the primer with

·
Registered
688 Posts
It will fail. I would use oil primer, don't go what other contractor said trust your judgement you are the BOSS ;).

Don't forget where you live, You are in NE bad weather.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Mad Dod it's a Mad Dog!!!! My go to for years exterior king primer !!! If the customer wants oil them give them what they want . As for oil topcoat I would still prime but would try suggesting my methods as I am the service provider.m

·
Registered
914 Posts
I like the BM fresh start and Aura combo. I also have been using Regal select high build soft gloss with fresh start primer for some shop work. Both are nice products. I wouldn't use FPoE for repaints.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Sand, prime, top coat.

Does the other contractor offer a warranty? How long has he been in business for? How long has he been painting? What's his track record?
Even more important, is that contractor OR Sherwin Williams going to re-paint it when it fails? That's what you need to look at whenever someone recommends something. It COULD work, but will anyone fix it for free when it doesn't?

·
Registered
389 Posts
If it were me I would sponge sand everything
Clean
Two coatis of a good paint regal select high build

That's just me and there is no peeling

·
Administrator
20,037 Posts
clean/prime/paint/get paid/sleep well

Reactions: PremierPaintingMa

·
Registered
563 Posts
clean/prime/paint/get paid/sleep well

Exactly--but I wouldn't use Emerald. It may be fine--never have used it for exterior. There are better choices. FPOE is crazy expensive. Must be a heck of a project to consider that.

·
A Brush Above
4,669 Posts
Questions:

it is oil now or you want oil?

You want to use FPOE for exterior?

Statement:

Emerald doesnt come in oil. Are you asking how to convert on an exterior or if transfering to a latex would you use a tie coat?

I believe you want to convert and the politically correct answer is to prime and then paint in whatever you want. If the surface is glossy id definitely agree. Heres the non politically correct answer AND the dyed in the wool hardline painters standard: "clean, dull and dry" paint away. Emerald had incredible bonding tenacity. If clean dull and dry are there, Id consider it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Based on the OP I believe the trim currently has oil on it and he wants to go with a waterborne product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Final final thought. If im using FPOE, budget qouldnt matter and id prime it on principle.
Yeah no kidding! If FPOE was an alternative why would you consider skipping the prime? ?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Prime it or regret it...emerald is a great product imo, but experience is the best teacher and it's cheaper to prime than to scrape when it fails.I just don't trust the reps that say ya can just go over it. I've cleaned too much of it up to go without priming ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts