Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a text from a hometown "friend" of mine who flips properties saying "Can I just hire you for the whole month of November and December?". Guess what? It was until January that the drywall guys were finished. I've learned not to count my chickens.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Exact
The reason I responded is that I have been in this business for 25 years
And unfortunately see the bad in people often

What I was trying to get across is that you don't take people on their word
any one who supply us with work have the right to do what they want with their money
If you want to teach them a lesson then next time they are counting on you tell them you are to busy

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Exact
The reason I responded is that I have been in this business for 25 years
And unfortunately see the bad in people often

What I was trying to get across is that you don't take people on their word
any one who supply us with work have the right to do what they want with their money
If you want to teach them a lesson then next time they are counting on you tell them you are to busy
thanks for clarifying phinn!!! sounded like u were being a dick! !!! :)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I don't care if it's Grandma, Everybody signs a contract, in business there are no friends just friendly clients. Otherwise none of us could afford repeaters. I count on recalls and like those clients But they remain clients. If I really like them I do a little in the way of extras. 30 years ago I worked exactly 1 job in Toronto with no contract. It was He!! 3 weeks in on a one week job and I never made that mistake again! "A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's printed on!" (His "other painters" indicate he is joshing you.)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Jennifer
Love it !
I actually seldom do contracts at all
And I consider many of my customers friends
But also I am at a point of not getting surprised by others actions
It takes a long time but it is life

·
Premium Member
15,572 Posts
Not having friends has made my life very manageable. At least with you all, I can run away with the touch of a button. J/K!

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Jennifer
Love it !
I actually seldom do contracts at all
And I consider many of my customers friends
But also I am at a point of not getting surprised by others actions
It takes a long time but it is life
I honestly can't recall the last time I had a written and/or signed contract with a customer. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say 25+ years.

·
Administrator
20,265 Posts
I honestly can't recall the last time I had a written and/or signed contract with a customer. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say 25+ years.
Any job over $2000 requires one here.

Reactions: stelzerpaintinginc.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I've lost track of how many times a client, property manager, or GC had told us, "don't worry I've got work to keep you busy until {fill in appropriate week/month/year}." On the other hand, I can tell you exactly how it has actually turned into work...I don't even need to use my fingers to count them.

It was a painful lesson, but I did learn to completely ignore such empty promises.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts