Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

OK here's a question for you

5K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  vermontpainter 
#1 ·
After my last brilliant thread, a question arose in the deepest part of my being. I've heard "Ive been painting for 27 yrs." Well, I've known Many painters that said I been painting for XX years. Then you see them paint :eek:. Then you ask them "go get the cheater for me and then get the deuce and start putting the first hand on. :huh: So what brings me to my question. How many house's do you estimate you painted. this is really what one needs to be asked. Because I could have been painting for 13 yrs and only painted 13 house. So now the question waits for your answers.

#4 ·
Hmmm that's a tough one.

Been painting for 9 years, but 2 of the companies I worked with did rather large projects. One taking 3 years. 4-5+ that took over 3 months. Although the numbers are small there, I think I learned the most from them.

In the end I would say I was on about 350-400 jobs.

#5 ·
Hahaha!!!!
C'mon, you really expect me to trace back everything I have painted, do me a favour!!!! :rolleyes:

Army Barrack quarters, Police stations, railway stations, pubs/bars, womens refuge's, MOMI - museum of moving images in London, Egyptian Embassy etc, etc. I cannot tell you how many projects I have painted in London. Do you know how many working days are in 27 yrs?
I spent about 15yrs solely in London working while sub contracting to one company my Dad helped start up. The other years were bumming around two other companies, subbing.

Just the last five years (in my own company) have been residential and new build homes, function halls, x-ray dept in local hospital. It is endless my friend.

How much have you done in your short time holding a brush??? :whistling2:

I have probably forgotten more than you know! ;)

mistcoat(UK)

#7 · (Edited)
Hahaha!!!!
How much have you done in your short time holding a brush??? :whistling2:

I have probably forgotten more than you know! ;)
mistcoat(UK)
Your just a fire cracker, HUH.

Within the last 10 years I help build up a painting company in the Palm Springs area. When we started I was his painter preper all of the above. Then we moved to having ten guys, to 20, to 50, to up to 200 guys. I had 3 painting superintendent under me, under them were 15 foremen. The average for 60 hrs was one house getting painted. So if you figure when were at 200 guys we were painting roughly 26 houses a day. we stayed like that for two yrs before the market crashed.

So my friend you can do the rest of the math.

#6 ·
Hi there, my name is Aaron and I am a broke college student so I thought I would start painting stuff to make some money for parties and beer. Here is my ad.
So far I have painted one house and they said I did a good job and was priced pretty reasonably at $15 an hour so I might try and paint a couple more this summer and then do some more next summer :whistling2::whistling2:

#8 ·
How many house's do you estimate you painted. this is really what one needs to be asked.
:no: How many houses is no better than how many years. These are not the questions to get to someones skill set. Its not the quanitity of experience, its the quality of the experience. Figure out questions that reveal that. This is important for interviewing and assessing talent. What people say about their years of experience or how many houses they have painted is not it.

#28 ·
I donno, but Ive been slingin brushes long enough to get carpal tunnel so bad they did surg on both hands twice! and they say my hands are shot now, they wont even do another surg. permenent damage. I started back in like 70 somthing? cant really remember, I know it was after the war (75). I judge how much Ive done by how long I got left to do it. but thats kinda like askin me how many times Ive emptied my sack? cant give a real answer to that man.

#31 ·
If I place a employment ad and someone calls looking for a job and tells me they once had a company and cant find work I tell them I am not interested. The is nothing worse than a employee that knows it all and shows up to every job with WIDE eyes or always trying to "one up you" with stories or refuses to listen.

:yes:

#32 ·
ewing quote: "How many house's do you estimate you painted. this is really what one needs to be asked. Because I could have been painting for 13 yrs and only painted 13 house. So now the question waits for your answers".

If a measure of success was determined solely by quantity rather then quality, the Nazis would be considered a model of success.

DeArch, your right! Nazi did turn up in the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.