Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think it wood be a good idea to refurbish this old aluminum stage? It belonged to my grandfather its from the 60s I suppose. My pops neighbor had borrowed it probably 10 years ago and never retuned it I looked over said neighbors fence while masking some siding I was about to paint for him and what do I see? I had wondered where it had gone to.

/Users/michaelcano/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2014/01/02/20140102-155238/Ui4jiijdQEG6DSK306e7RQ/IMG_2376.jpg

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Do you think it wood be a good idea to refurbish this old aluminum stage? It belonged to my grandfather its from the 60s I suppose. My pops neighbor had borrowed it probably 10 years ago and never retuned it I looked over said neighbors fence while masking some siding I was about to paint for him and what do I see? I had wondered where it had gone to.

/Users/michaelcano/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2014/01/02/20140102-155238/Ui4jiijdQEG6DSK306e7RQ/IMG_2376.jpg
Couldn't get that link to work.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Unless you want to redeck it aluminum scrap is at a premium price in SAC.
The price to re-deck a Stinson is pretty close to the price for a new one, we checked into it.

Our old 24-footer was getting pretty tired on the last job. It was on the ground around the corner from us, out of sight. We kept hearing this odd sound and, when we finally walked around the corner, we saw that the client's dog had chewed an enormous hole in the deck. Apparently, some small critter had gotten into the plank and the dog was trying hard to get it.

If we do get another 24-footer, we'll get a narrow pick instead, so we don't have to worry about the weather and the wildlife.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking of ordering some new plywood, but it looks really thin like 1/4 or 1/8, and there are a bunch of rivets that held on the wood. My dad said you should charge the sob for keeping it so long HA HA.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up some 1/4 plywood,cut it just so and treated it with thomson's WS and penetrol, Removed the rotten wood, hosed it off, cut off the old rivets and bought new rivets and rivet gun. I'll post a pic when don. It's probly manufactured in the 40s or50s

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Aluminum suffers from metal fatigue just like other metals. PLUS I always found that the ladders and planks made in the 60's just were not as well engineered and built as what they build today.

Since you are halfway into this and obviously are going through with it no matter what, at least do yourself the favor of testing it with 2.5 times the load rating - one foot above the ground. And then jump up and down.

SERIOUSLY

1 - 20 of 23 Posts