Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Old School Old Beast

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Pete S. 
#1 ·
I haven't seen those big masking machine since I first started painting. I remember the old timers wouldn't even look at a hand masker, I never could understand why they wouldn't even try them. I even worked for a guy that didn't even want a hand masker on his job. All that said I was driving on the road and noticed one on the back of a painters truck. I thought WOW! I didn't even know they made those rolls of paper like that any more. Are there any painters out there that still use those old beast?

#3 ·
I use paper all the time. When the plastic runs short on an odd tall window, we run a paper across the bottom. I used to use the paper masker but I just run it out of my plastic masker now, they are much sturdier. I have a bin that has about half dozed rolls 12 in and 6 in. Good for all kinds of things. I assume we are talking about the same 3m hand maskers?

#17 ·
I know a spray guy who uses the autobody type....He tapes all the kitchen cabinet openings with it....I have used it while he is on sight and it works very well....You can tear off a piece of masking paper with razor sharp edges,which is very helpful....When you have that machine around,you find places to use it.

#18 ·
my Dad was a body man and he used to paint his house and used a big masker. Would take him less than an hour to mask the whole house. Would take him less than 5 hrs to mask and spray the whole thing out, a 3 bed rambler, (trim same color) I told him to backroll but he didn't see the need. The solid stain holds, just a little uneven in some spots that backrolling woulda smoothed out.

#21 ·
Let see. Someone shot my truck with a pellet gun. The front clip off the mini van that the wife tore off years ago. We keep patching it back together and last winter had to hold it on with bunge cords. Then this summer I back into a fram wagon with the wifes newer van getting corn one morning. Then I was clean window on my van on vacation and I find two rust spots where they cut the window in. Hasn't made it yet. If you must know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.