Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a project with aluminum framing, shiney, slick, beautiful. It meets the roof which has PT plywood as well as some red fire rated plywood. My intent is to spray as much as possible because it is circular building and the framing is very intricate.
My plan is to 1st find a primer. 2. spray the aluminum (the plywood receives over spray). 3. spray the plywood with an alkyd primer like covertstain...with some overspray onto the aluminum.
Are there any products that can handle such a method? Procryl is out of the question because it hasn't been available near me for over 4 months.
Any other tips?

·
Registered
Painter
22 Posts
I have a project with aluminum framing, shiney, slick, beautiful. It meets the roof which has PT plywood as well as some red fire rated plywood. My intent is to spray as much as possible because it is circular building and the framing is very intricate.
My plan is to 1st find a primer. 2. spray the aluminum (the plywood receives over spray). 3. spray the plywood with an alkyd primer like covertstain...with some overspray onto the aluminum.
Are there any products that can handle such a method? Procryl is out of the question because it hasn't been available near me for over 4 months.
Any other tips?
All I know is don't use anything oil base that is exposed to outside elements 24/7.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I know is don't use anything oil base that is exposed to outside elements 24/7.
Are you saying don't use an oil based primer for an exterior project? As far as I know, especially for wood, that's been a common practice for over 100 years. Are you referring to the finish coat itself? I'm not sure if your comment is relevant to the inquiry at hand.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Are you saying don't use an oil based primer for an exterior project? As far as I know, especially for wood, that's been a common practice for over 100 years. Are you referring to the finish coat itself? I'm not sure if your comment is relevant to the inquiry at hand.
Lol. Yeah, and I've worked on a lot of 100 year old buildings! LOL. I'll still use ext oil primers under some conditions, but haven't in a while.

The question is whether or not the alkyd/coverstain is for stain blocking?

I was thinking Stix, but it's not a stain blocker.

·
Registered
Painter
22 Posts
Yes finish coat as oil doesn't move with weather...int or ext. My comment probably didn't belong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts