Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a first for me. Painted a bathroom this past week and afterwards the lady gets her toolbox and removes the back of the toilet for me to paint. Does anyone really paint behind toilets???

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Does anyone really paint behind toilets???
I use a hotdog roller, it's easy. I take the tank cover off, but have never removed a tank itself, that's sort of....weird. I mean, sometimes it's just too tight to paint behind, but I make every effort to go down, up, and sideways as far in as I can. Trickiest part is cutting in the baseboard directly behind, but I manage.

A definite MUST for me: plastic over the toilet seat while I'm working behind there. Nothing like putting your face where....well you get the point :yes:

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
Yup wienie roller
Remove cover
And paint as much as possible

Not supposed to remove the tank as I'm not lic. for plumbing...lol

If they want to do it or have it removed, fine by me
...better not be "afterward" though...that'd be extra

Nothing like putting your face where....well you get the point
Yeah doesn't that bring back memories

...worshiping at the porcelain alter

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
I use a hotdog roller, it's easy. I take the tank cover off, but have never removed a tank itself, that's sort of....weird. I mean, sometimes it's just too tight to paint behind, but I make every effort to go down, up, and sideways as far in as I can. Trickiest part is cutting in the baseboard directly behind, but I manage.

A definite MUST for me: plastic over the toilet seat while I'm working behind there. Nothing like putting your face where....well you get the point :yes:
Ditto that!

·
17,849 Posts
This is a first for me. Painted a bathroom this past week and afterwards the lady gets her toolbox and removes the back of the toilet for me to paint. Does anyone really paint behind toilets???
LOL did you make up that name just for the question?
And like every one else ... yes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Usually I'll paint as much behind the toilet as possible, but in this case the
toilet was tight against the wall....she admitted she was a bit anal about
the situation... and no I didn't make up the name for this question--just
a funny coincidence

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
I've had people ask if I was going to remove the medicine cabinet to paint behind it. I tell them no I'm not.
The correct response is... "Sure, if you want to pay for that we'll knock it right out!"

I'm pretty anal and have REALLY high standards... However, I don't mind paying for what i want. I think a huge problem (and opportunity) in the service industry is that alot of service people don't want to put aside what they want to give customers what THEY want. Next time you run into one of these people, remember that your competition is probably going to walk away from the job. SO, why not just jack up your price and get PAID to service them? I don't know about you guys, but I can put up with alot of crap (no pun intended on this topic or paintin john's name) for double the money.

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I can put up with alot of crap (no pun intended on this topic or paintin john's name) for double the money.
or 1.5 times the money if the HO is hot....:whistling2:

oops, did I just say that....

I must be huffing some of wolvey's good epoxy again, lol

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
i just had a convo with my brother about this. Hes going to paint his bathroom. I told him to just mask off all areas. But he might take it off. It will be easier for him since he is not too skilled with a brush.

I might end up just going over there and painting it for him.

My best customers have taken out their toilets before I get to the bathrooms. That works real good when they offer to do it without you bringing it up.

·
Registered
226 Posts
yep i paint behind tolet if i cant get it with a wizz i will mickey mouse a paint pad refill on a paint stick if that dont get it well then thats that,takeing off a tank is easy yea i know . it can also be a can of worms. how bought people that dont pain top edge of trim on doors and windows

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
I carry those pocket rollers in my pocket like a 5-in-1. Always have one handy. The pocket roller works great around certain medicine cabinets, under mirrors or above back splashes, around the light switch and outlet where its often tight to roll with a nine, around the plumbing, between the bath cabinet and door casing, tub surround reveals where you would prefer a rolled look rather than brushed, window returns etc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use a mini roller if the tank sits off the wall. Otherwise I cut the tank in. I'm not pulling the toilet unless they want to pay extra, or better yet, have a plumber do it. (Probably will need a new wax ring and maybe new bolts too.)

I don't even like pulling a refrigerator out but you have to do that. It's too scabby to just paint "at" it. I once pulled a fridge out and the icemaker line started leaking! Cost me time and money to fix it.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
I don't even like pulling a refrigerator out but you have to do that. It's too scabby to just paint "at" it. I once pulled a fridge out and the icemaker line started leaking! Cost me time and money to fix it.
A few weeks ago I finished the trim on my cabinets. I managed to shoot 5 finish nails through my dishwasher return line, that I noticed a couple days ago :whistling2: Never leaked!! I shot 6 nails in the trim piece, and 5 of them managed to hit a plastic line maybe 1/2" wide.....Im a sniper with a finish nailer :jester:

·
Registered
971 Posts
I carry those pocket rollers in my pocket like a 5-in-1. Always have one handy. The pocket roller works great around certain medicine cabinets, under mirrors or above back splashes, around the light switch and outlet where its often tight to roll with a nine, around the plumbing, between the bath cabinet and door casing, tub surround reveals where you would prefer a rolled look rather than brushed, window returns etc.
I thought you were painting with a 14, since you gave up the 18

1 - 20 of 41 Posts