Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We Paint / Refinish Furniture and have out grown our home plus 4 large storage units. We are looking at roughly a 6000sqft building outside of the city limits, though obviously still need a booth so overspray does not get on everything else in the shop.
I should mention we are currently spraying outdoors and do not have a booth, which means we can only work when its not too hot/ too cold, raining, windy, spring, summer, fall, or winter haha. Really though the elements make this much harder than it should be, but we have now grown enough to where we have to change.

I have been looking at booths, and have learned some but i would like some opinions from you folks. We are doing this without loans and would like to spend the least amount possible, but whilst not skimping on quality / settling on something thats not what we need.

I have looked mainly at open faced booths, because they seem to be the most cost efficient, I received one quote from a colmet dealer for 10,500 installed- not including electrical or sealing the roof. $3750 of that is the installation labor, which seems awfully high to bolt together some panels and run duct work- is there much more to it than that?

They are quoting $4675 for a booth with these specs: 12’W x 7’T x 7’L w/two light fixtures & 30” diameter, 3HP fan @ 10,500cfm.

I have also looked at some booths on ebay (used) and there seems to be better deals had with used units, but since i am unfamiliar with spray booths, i am not sure if there is something i should look out for. It almost seems like i could get an enclosed industrial booth or an automotive booth for the same price. Am i right in assuming that as long as i dont purchase a full down draft booth, then there is no reason other than price i shouldn't get one of those instead? Most items we spray are 6 ft long, 4 ft tall, 2-3 feet wide.

Several of the eBay booths quote a 24" fan- Is that adequate for a similar sized booth as quoted above?

Is anyone in the paint booth business in the DFW area here?

As far as code is concerned, the city said that a booth is not required in a building under 12k sqft and neither is a fire suppression system, unless, I am sanding wood in the building. If i am sanding wood, then both the paint booth (if you have one,) and the sanding area must be enclosed in a room under 2500 sqft in size. But i will be in the county, and they didnt seem like it would be an issue. I cannot figure out who to contact in the county to confirm, they dont seem to have a building department that i can find, the county seat has one, but they said the rules only apply within the city limits and couldn't give me any info on the county. The building we are looking at does not have a fire suppression system, but we also only use waterborne paints (Presently at least.)

Finally- In the back of my head, there is some hesitation, in signing up to pay $2500 a month plus utilities. We are very frugal in general and that is higher than all other bills combined . As i said earlier the house is full, and 4 storage units are full (i have another business as well.) We are currently at a point where we cannot simply grow any larger, and storage units are hard to come by here. Production of finished product is also greatly limited with the current set up. Am i over thinking this and should just pull the trigger on the building? The price per square is about $3 less than one in the city.. Also getting the building would allow me to get rid of all of the storage units.

Sorry for the long post, this is a rather large and complex decision from us and we do not want to make a wrong/bad choice.

Thanks
BD

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The booth size you mention will be too small too quickly. By the time you have several pieces in there you will be stepping all over things.Can't say anything about the price but a well built booth with a good exhaust and filter system is pricey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of building some carts to roll them in and out of the booth- not sure if thats a good idea or not. What we do now is line 5-6 pieces up in a row, and have 2 rows. We Go down the line priming them all and then come back and paint them when they are dry. So with any booth we need a way to get items out before they dry - though i guess that potentially could contaminate the piece with dust etc. If we got a large booth we could paint more than one at a time which would be nice and save us moving so much around, plus give us the option to paint something larger

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
If you have projected a need for a spray booth to improve your process and production, get a size that you can grow into. The main components of a modular spray booth system would be the exhaust fan, lights, filter racks, walls, ceiling/roof and air supply. Adding more square footage requires only walls and ceiling/roof. It's worth it to get something as large and practical as possible with a healthy margin for growth. We have an undersized spray booth and it is frustrating at times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have projected a need for a spray booth to improve your process and production, get a size that you can grow into. The main components of a modular spray booth system would be the exhaust fan, lights, filter racks, walls, ceiling/roof and air supply. Adding more square footage requires only walls and ceiling/roof. It's worth it to get something as large and practical as possible with a healthy margin for growth. We have an undersized spray booth and it is frustrating at times.

Okay thanks, This makes sense

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You might want to talk with Pittsburg Spray Equipment. They have an awesome blog on their website that might have a lot of useful information for you.

http://www.pittsburghsprayequip.com/enjoy-complete-guide-paint-booths/

If possible figure out some of the spray booth mfg's and get in contact with their local rep. Ask if they can set up a tour of any facilities where they installed booths. This could be a great learning opportunity for you.

This isn't meant to be rude, but I get the impression the you really need to figure out a better process if you want to utilize a booth to its maximum potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to talk with Pittsburg Spray Equipment. They have an awesome blog on their website that might have a lot of useful information for you.

http://www.pittsburghsprayequip.com/enjoy-complete-guide-paint-booths/

If possible figure out some of the spray booth mfg's and get in contact with their local rep. Ask if they can set up a tour of any facilities where they installed booths. This could be a great learning opportunity for you.

This isn't meant to be rude, but I get the impression the you really need to figure out a better process if you want to utilize a booth to its maximum potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally agree, I did talk to the colmet rep a while back- I should call him back as the factory is an hour from where i live.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts