Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a customer who has asked me to build some custom skateboard ramps for their children. I'm pretty handy with woodworking on the side so I decided to take on the job.

My biggest problem though is what to finish the ramps with. I have seen companies selling really expensive paint for ramps, but I'm looking for a generic version that will grip the wheels of the board and not create a slippery surface like a typical wood sealer like Thompson's would do. Preferably I'm looking for a one part polyurethane epoxy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I'm tight on my budget and I'm looking to finish it ASAP.

Thanks Sam.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Polyurea would work great. The one part epoxies are not a real epoxy anyway. Just a enamel with a little epoxy resin added for a little extra hardness. But really the polyurea would work great on the ramps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
a moisture cure urethane would work. You would need to add a non-splip additive to it. SW makes a product called Rexthane. It is expensive, but would work great. You are probably looking at about $90 per gallon.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Polyurea Man. Build them and then take them to a local Truck Bed Liner company and tell them to spray them. They would probably not charge too much. Tell them to spray them when there doing a truck. That way there not setting up just to spray your stuff. Might cut you a deal. You would not need to prime the wood, due to the fact your not worried about a little pin holing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A can of cheap spray paint for graffiti is all that is required for the true skaters :yes:
the top layer should be masonite,nice and smooth so when U fall and everone falls U slide.other wise your skin sticks :eek:to the ramp as you slide and end up with some NASTY burns,rash,raspberries etc.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Did you build the ramp with a masonite top for the transition? What is / are they made from. You don't want something that is going to be too slick, masonite is already slicker than snot, and you need it to hold up to wheel abuse (Urethane) of different hardness'. I don't really know without knowing the material used. Go with a stain.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Masonite goes over the plywood ramp structure as a top layer only.SMOOTH and FAST and not as snotty as U think:rockon:

·
Right!
873 Posts
Masonite is the top layer and it is supposed to be somewhat slick for sess slides and not rubbing your skin off. I have built a bunch of halfs, quarters, launches as well as rails while growing up. Man, just thinking about skating is making my tailbone ach. I cant help you with the topcoat because I never topcoated mine.We used big tarps.

·
Right!
873 Posts
Actually mate they make sheeting just for skateboarding ramps. Skatelite, skaterblend, but if you really wanna paint there is skate paint. Says its poly, its been years since I was a skater, but things haven't changed that much.
I doubt they had skatelite or etc. 20 years ago. I could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I doubt they had skatelite or etc. 20 years ago. I could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time.
I was still skating in my late 20s mate, started when I was about 8. I still surf almost every week, just had to give up the vert ramp. All those dumps caught up with my body, the water is much more forgiving maybe I will have to slow down when I hit 40, but I doubt it. ;)

·
Right!
873 Posts
I hear you loud and clear. My knees give me a better weather forcast than the weather man can ever give. I owe that to skating.

·
Right!
873 Posts
when i 'semi retired' my best trick was kickflip frontside tailslide, can anyone beat that?
Thats pretty good for the average bear but what about a mctwist topped with a middle finger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts