Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Paint previously stained ext door

Tags
repaint stain
4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  billy the kid 
#1 ·
At risk of being called a noob and having searched for this topic in the archives, I ask...

Customer wants to paint his wooden front door satin BLACK.
Very nice door with beveled glass. It has a dull finish and was stained originally.
This doesn't have to be stripped, right? Can I sand, prime and paint?

If so, what grit and which primer? The wood is in excellent shape, just dulled finish and does not get direct sun exposure.
I will use Duration Satin on the house, but not on the door. Probably Super Paint, unless you have suggestions on a tougher paint for a door.
I could get a pic posted, if that really mattered.

#4 ·
Sound advice NC as always.

I do have a question for the op.

Why use a cheaper grade paint on the door? It will see more wear than the siding unless it never gets used. I would put two coats of duration gloss on it after following Andy's suggestion for prep.
I heard that the deep tint base Duration had problems, particularly being thin. I have no data showing Super is better, just that its formula is tried and true. You know how painters get something in their head and are hard cases to change. I have used deep Duration, though.

#9 ·
I think duration has a tricorn black or something that is factory tinted. Is factory tint different?

I only have Valspar, Ace brand, or SW in my town, so if Aura is BM, I can't get it without driving 75 miles to OKC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.