Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--new here; my 1st post & need some help. Not too experienced at exterior painting; I usually do interiors.

I've been thinking of getting a Paint Shaver or an IR paint remover, & researching both. I know both methods have their fans. Both the Speedheater IR & Silent Paint Remover IR sound good; Heat-N-Strip (IR made by Paint Shaver company) has built-in retaining pins to hold it to vertical surfaces, which seems like an advantage. The way I understand it, the IR methods don't get hot enough to release fumes of lead paint.

My customer wants to use opaque stain instead of paint so I'm getting ready to strip a cedar shingle house, 1/4" shingles w/several thin coats of blistering paint to prep. Never primed. She doesn't want it powerwashed.

:confused1: Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Hi--new here; my 1st post & need some help. Not too experienced at exterior painting; I usually do interiors.

I've been thinking of getting a Paint Shaver or an IR paint remover, & researching both. I know both methods have their fans. Both the Speedheater IR & Silent Paint Remover IR sound good; Heat-N-Strip (IR made by Paint Shaver company) has built-in retaining pins to hold it to vertical surfaces, which seems like an advantage. The way I understand it, the IR methods don't get hot enough to release fumes of lead paint.

My customer wants to use opaque stain instead of paint so I'm getting ready to strip a cedar shingle house, 1/4" shingles w/several thin coats of blistering paint to prep. Never primed. She doesn't want it powerwashed.

run.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,924 Posts
Do you know whether it's lead paint? If it's not, You may consider just rocking it with a 6" Grinder. 24 Grit Paper. Although getting all the paint out of the crevasses will be a challenge. If she's going solid again, that may not matter so much..

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts

If you're not very experienced with exteriors -or- paint removal, that may not be the best job to start on. It would be a difficult job. The IR Paint strippers do work, but they are slow (about 1 square foot at a time). The IR methods are considered lead-safe.

Cedar shingles have lots of noooks and crannies that would be tedious to remove paint from.
Cedar shingles/shake can also be problematic as they age, especially they weren't properly cared for. They can become dry and brittle, they can be cupped and split, and they can be loose and falling out.

I would advise avoiding this job.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Do you know whether it's lead paint? If it's not, You may consider just rocking it with a 6" Grinder. 24 Grit Paper. Although getting all the paint out of the crevasses will be a challenge. If she's going solid again, that may not matter so much..
Its almost certainly lead paint (pre-1978).
A grinder would tear those old, soft Cedar shingles apart.

·
Banned
878 Posts
Yes. You are probably right about that!
I'm picturing you with a cigar hanging out of your mouth, teeth clenched, as you fire up the grinder and slowly tear into the wood, but instead of sawdust, sparks are flying, reflecting off your glistening sweat. Homeowner standing in the background with a look of horror on their face.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,924 Posts
Its almost certainly lead paint (pre-1978).
A grinder would tear those old, soft Cedar shingles apart.
He didn't actually say how old the house was.. all the same I have removed paint off of smooth shingles with my 6" polisher/grinder. Wouldn't work for any corrugated or pitted ones. Maybe he could dip the house in a pool of acid? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
He didn't actually say how old the house was.. all the same I have removed paint off of smooth shingles with my 6" polisher/grinder. Wouldn't work for any corrugated or pitted ones. Maybe he could dip the house in a pool of acid? :unsure:
No, he did not say specifically say that... or show pics.

But he did say "shingles w/several thin coats of blistering paint to prep", and one can only assume it's going to be a can of worms. Either way I stand by my statement.

+1 for dipping the entire house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts