Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on stripping pine stairs (treads and risers) with white latex base coat and two grey latex enamel top coats and owner desires a clear, natural finish when done?

A chemical strip (Stripeze) removes most of the paint but the pine seems to have the pigments left on the surface. Sanding seems inevitable. Sand everything in the first place and skip the strip? Suggestions on media and grit for stripping? Finish sanding?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Stick with the strip, and then sand 120 orbital, 150 by hand. Contain the dust. Do a thinner wipe prior to applying clear so you can see if you need any last minute fine tuning. 2 coats of bullseye sanding sealer and 2-3 coats of poly will make a bomber finish. Hope it's in the budget.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Chemically stripping is going to be the easiest (though messiest) way to get most of the coating off of there. Follow by cleaning the rest off with lacquer thinner.

Like VP says above use an orbital at 150 to get the flats and a detail sander to get into the tighter edges. Progressively sand up to 180/220 depending on how everything is looking and how you want the finish to look.

Use a block sander that you can find at an auto shop (not the $2.99 ones) to get the detailed edges and grooves etc - don't use a sanding sponge as it can make the wood wavy and weird looking.

Before applying any sealer/clears wipe down again with lacquer thinner and look for any residual paint specks - much better to catch them before you apply your clears.

Price accordingly. Have fun.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try Peel Away. It's great stuff that gets the stripping job done well! Just removed at least 5 layers of paint from an original brick wall from the 1890's. Besides fragile brick, most paint came right off.
Don't forget to neutralize if you use Peel Away.

I've had a lot of success with Smart Strip. (No neutralizing needed).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Either bail on the project all together or do it time and materials. Any way you look at it this is a sucky job. I would run away myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just finished a door using a product called soy gel made by franmar co. It is a pine door it worked great a little messy but cleans with thinner. I have used all the other products and I like this the best. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts