Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kitchen cabinets have been painted for about 10 weeks (9 weeks with AC) and the paint is very brittle. I put a level across my cabinet and some the paint cracked and broke off. If i rub it with the back of my nail some of the paint comes off. The Sherwin Williams rep said that this is normal and it need more time to dry, yet the cabinet doors that have been done for 5 weeks are solid as a rock. I can scratch them with my nail and nothing happens.

The SW rep wants me to wait weeks, by then i will be moved in and respraying my cabinets will be impossible. Is there anything I can do to get SW to respond to this issue?

Here is the paint that was used.

Wood - Interior Primer
Primer: P65WT0001 - SHWD PRO HB
Wood - Interior Paint
2 Coats: B34WJ0651 - Southwest Builders Interior Alkyd Semi-Gloss Extra White

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Are you a professional painter? If not, this thread will soon be locked up. There's not enough info for anyone to give you much advice. What prep was done? Maybe your painter skipped on some of the prep for the face frames. Or, they were sanded and cleaned and not fully rinsed. Lots of cleaners leave behind a residue that can affect the bonding of the primer. I'd say this is an issue with your painter. The rep isn't going to be much help. I would be getting your painter over there and you two need to hash out EXACTLY what was done in terms of prep, conditions on the day they were sprayed, and anything else that could have affected the job.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yet another post confirming my decision to not paint cabinets ever again haha. Look at all these details you need to worry about. Weather, sanding, cleaning, what products the old home owner used to clean, and even then, the products are called into question, the have they dried long enough.

Personally it’s not worth any of my time or stress to deal with this ever again. Buy new cabinets is my advice to all homeowners. Painting them = problems.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'm with you, @SweetLu. I try to talk customers out of painting them all the time. Hopefully, this trend of painting "wood-looking cabinets" ends soon. 20 years ago, I was up to my elbows in stain and polyurethane doing custom cabinets for local GC's/cabinet shops. Now, you RARELY see natural wood in a kitchen, bath, or on trim.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
10 weeks? It's as cured as it's going to get. Is it coming off all the way down to the wood or is the paint coming off and leaving the primer?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com .

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php .

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.