Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m restructuring my rates, want some opinion on painters hours. Here’s my concern. On doing a job that should take less than 8 hours, what do you guys do for the painter. When I was painting for people by the hour, sometime’s I liked getting off early, but it hurt at the end of week. Kind of felt like I was getting screwed for being productive

This is not a problem on multiple room interiors or exterior repaints. The problem is on smaller jobs that don’t involve full days. If it’s less than a couple hours not big deal, but on a five hour job, three hours ads about $150 bucks and I don’t need too lose any work this time of the year.

I’ve been successful in the past trying to add to the scope of work to get it to eight hours, but that doesn’t always work.

Just looking for some thoughts

·
Administrator
20,265 Posts
Yeah, you've got to have a minimum for those small jobs. Whether it's the same as a full day's worth of work is up to you but you have to consider a short day on one job prevents you from having a full day on another one.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
I don't usually charge the full day rate on the small jobs. Rather than have one of the guys do it, I'll try to do those myself on a Saturday as I don't mind a short day then. I just hate to have the lost production of a job transfer, worse still when I'm paying one of my guys to do it.

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
Work 5 get paid for 8. Perhaps make an exception if slipping the job in as a favor and heading off to another afterwards.

Who's paying your wage from 3-5p? Say you pay yourself 65 but cut the day short on a 5 hr job. $195 gone. poof. Best to avoid those jobs unless thats all you have.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I do most of the small jobs myself. I don't care about the profit. I view it more as public relations. It’s about keeping a good customer happy, or winning over a new one for future work.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I've never seen much evidence for small jobs leading to larger jobs. Usually previous large job customers will ask for small jobs. That's about the only time I take them on, to keep a past customer happy, already proven track record for payment and ability to keep happy - as well as customer acquisition costs have already been paid off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. Sometimes in the winter I have to take on the small ones, usually from client base. I think the answer is to just do the small ones myself.

·
Registered
712 Posts
We charge à minimum of 750$ that represent a full day for 2 painters. For me I think it's too expansive in overhead to go under that. Just think of the time to do the quote, go to the paint store, a couple of phone calls, waiting for paint to dry... The 4 hours bathroom just costed you almost a full day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts