Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
One of my competitors had a similar quiz which he required applicants to take before hiring them. Even the questions asked were strikingly similar. I actually thought it was a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
19.Mrs.Jones wants to have the base molding in her master bedroom (12' x 20") and library (9' x 9') painted with two coats of China white eggshell paint. The base molding is 6" tall. How many quarts of paint would be required? (one quart of paint covers approximately 100 square feet)

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,155 Posts
I'm not 100% sure I'm posting this in the right place but if so please advise me on where it should be, but i was taking these painters knowledge practice quiz's and this one stomped me.. can anyone help me with this? much much appreciation!

1. It is a very hot and humid day, relative humidity was foretasted at 85%. The foreman says there will be no painting today. What would happen if one were to paint in high humidity?

A) there will be condensation on the paint resulting in defects such as streaks, fading and poor adhesion.

B) risks of splattering wet paint I want to nearby surfaces and possibility of moisture blisters resulting on painted surfaces

C)The finished with not fully cure resulting in defects such as wrinkling, ripping and lifting.

D) all of the above

2.What is the total square footage of walls and ceilings of a bedroom that is 10 feet long and 10 feet wide, with standard Ceiling height (8feet)?

A) 420 sqft

B) 520 sqft

C) 320 sqft

D) 500 sqft.

3.What are some features of airless paint sprayers that distinguish them from air sprayers (e.g , HVLPs)?

A) lower level of refinement but higher production

B) smaller orifice where paint exits

C) use of piston pressurization versus a turbine/Compressor

D) all of the above

4.You are painting the walls of an apartment for a project. The walls are drywall and you are using flat white latex paint. Which of the following roller covers Will help you perform the job most efficiently?

A) 1/2" roller nap

B) 1/4" roller nap

C) Mohair roller nap

D) 3/4" roller nap

5.Mr.Bean wants to have the walls of his apartment master bedroom (10' x 19') and two other bedrooms (both are 9' x 11') painted with two coats of paint. The apartment has a ceiling height of 8 feet. If one gallon of paint covers approximately 325 square feet, approximately how many gallons of paint should Mr. Bean buy?

A)6.5 gal

B)7.5 gal

C)7 gal

D)6 gal

6.For a painter, what does the term "holiday" mean?

A)A relatively simple and straightforward painting job

B)An application defect, where a small area is left without a coat of paint

C)Lightening of a paints color due to exposure to light or heat

D)The hiding power of a paint's pigment and ability to obscure a surface

7.What is priming?

A)Adding material to paint to acquire a desired color in which multiple 'primers' can be used in combination to acquire desired color

B)Applying a first coat of paint to a surface which protects it and provides a good base for future paint coats

C)Applying small amounts of paint to fix defects or damage to a painted job

D)None of the above

8.Before one can start spraying with an airless spay gun, one must prime the pump, the heart of the airless system. Which of the following is the primary purpose for priming?

A)To strain and filter the paint

B)Pre-run the system to clear it of air bubbles

C)Pre-run of the system to adjust the consistency of the paint

D)None of the above

9.Michelle is redoing her kitchen and has taken it upon herself to repainting the kitchen cabinet panels. She wants an ultra fine finish. What type of roller should she use for this task?

A)9" thin nap roller

B)4" thick nap roller

C)9" thick nap roller

D)4" thin nap roller

10.What can one do to fix an orange peel?

A)Score and re-coat the surface

B)Smooth out texture by sanding and speckling

C)Change painting material used

D) All of the above

11.In which of the following situations are miniature 'hot dog' rollers useful?

A)Painting difficult to reach areas (behind sinks and toilets)

B)Painting edges and trim in certain situations

C)Painting cupboards, shelves and rolling panel/doors

D)All of the above

12.What proper spraying techniques should be observed when using an airless spray gun?

A)Spray in a circular motion

B)Overlap strokes so that you do not have any voids in your finished product

C)Spray gun should face perpendicular and move parallel across surface

D)Overlap strokes so that you do not have any voids in your finished product AND spray gun should face perpendicular and move parallel across surface

13.Which of the following would polyurethane be used for?

A)Coating wood surfaces, including furniture or doors

B)Coating concrete surfaces, including floors and walls

C)Coating metal surfaces, including doors or railings

D)All of the above

14.During sprayer setup, you do a test spray and notice an uneven spay pattern with characteristic 'tails'. What is probably the cause of this and what do you have to do to correct the issue to get an even spay pattern?

A)There is too little pressure, increase pressure and retest until paint is even

B)The tip is too large, replace with a smaller tip and also check for debris

C)Improper priming, there are air bubbles in the system and one must clean filters and prime tube

D)None of the above

15.Bruce is painting the exterior of a two story house. He is about to paint the upper story of the house that includes high peaks and areas near the pitch of the roof. Which of the following would best suit him in his task?

A)Extension ladder

B)Boom lift

C)Scaffolding

D)Scissor lift

16.What does "cutting in" a surface mean?

A)Cleaning edges of surface of old paint, splatter, or debris with a joint/tape knife

B)Cleaning the dust off the edge of a surface with a rag cloth

C)Using a brush to paint edge of surface that would be difficult for a roller

D)None of the above

17.you are painting a ceiling, one long wall and one short wall of a master bedroom (8' x 9') with two coats of paint. The bathroom has a standard ceiling height of (8 feet). What is the total square footage of area that you will be painting?

A)688 sq. ft

B)525 sq. ft

C)416 sq. ft

D)272 sq. ft

18.A liquid that is used as a coating on concrete or metal for its strong mechanical properties, as well as resistance to high temperatures and chemicals is known as what?

A)Enamel

B)Urethane

C)Epoxy

D)Binder

19.Mrs.Jones wants to have the base molding in her master bedroom (12' x 20") and library (9' x 9') painted with two coats of China white eggshell paint. The base molding is 6" tall. How many quarts of paint would be required? (one quart of paint covers approximately 100 square feet)

A)1.5 quarts

B)2.5 quarts

C)2 quarts

D)1 quart

20.What is etching (e.g, liquid sanding)

A)A painting technique that allows for a high quality marble looking finish

B)The process of cleaning and increasing the porosity of a surface to improve adhesion for new paint

C)The process of applying a gloss level between low sheen and high gloss

D)The process of applying a smooth sand cement coating to brickwork

21.You are on a job where you will be spray painting (atomized paint) and dealing with other materials that give off hazardous fumes. What type of mask would be best to wear?

A)Particulate & Chemical (double cartridge) Respirator

B)Chemical (single cartridge) Respirator

C)Dust (Particulate) mask

D)None of the above

22.Maria wants to paint her rough wooden windows sills with an oil-based enamel paint. Which of the following brushes would be BEST to use?

A)Blended bristle, square trim brush

B)Natural bristle, square trim brush

C)Synthetic bristle, angled trim brush

D)Natural bristle, angled trim brush

23.Which of the following factors should someone consider when determining how long it will take a coat of paint to dry?

A)Humidity

B)Color of paint

C)Elevation

D)All of the above

24.William is painting a kitchen and did not wash the walls before painting to get rid of possible contamination such as oil and grease. After painting one coat he notices small circular cater-looking like spots on the walls. What is ths defect known as?

A)Sagging

B)Fish eyes

C)Spatter

D)Marine finish

25.Ryan wants to repaint his backyard metal security door and has bought a black satin oil based enamel exterior paint. What accompanying roller type should he buy as well for his project?

A)Sheepskin, rough/thick nap roller

B)Polyester, rough/thick nap roller

C)Mohair, very smooth/thin nap roller

D)Mohair, rough/thick nap roller

26.Tracy is painting the walls of a small apartment and has received two new 1 gallon buckets of flat linen white paint, and two old 1 gallon buckets of the same paint. Tracy wants to ensure color consistency when she paints and thus combines all of the paint in a 5 gallon bucket and mixes them thoroughly before painting. what technique has she utilized?

A)Rendering

B)Inter-coating

C)Boxing

D)Thinning

27.What are encapsulates?

A)Flexible materials used to fill the void between two surfaces

B) Materials that seal lead based paints providing a barrier between the hazardous paint and the environment

C)Chemical material used to remove old paint layers to prepare a surface for a new paint job

D)Tools used to remove paint from a used brush

28.You are cutting in 3 inches at both the top and bottom of all four walls in home's library (10' x 12') before rolling on the first coat the library has a ceiling height of 8 feet. What is the total square footage of area that you will be painting before rolling?

A)44 sq.ft

B)38 sq.ft

C)264 sq.ft

D)22 sq.ft

29.Skin irritations, respiratory problems, slips/falls, and fire are some of the most common hazards in painting operations. Which of the following safety considerations should be taken into account when painting?

A)Wearing non-static discharging overalls when working with flammable material

B)Wearing closed toed shoes or boots that are slip resistant

C)Wearing gloves under protective gear and sealing them with tape for further protection

D)All of the above

30.Which of the following is an appropriate technique for the removal of old lead-based paint?

A)Wet sanding

B)Wet scraping

C)Wet scraping AND wet sanding

D)None of the above

31.What is meant by touching-up?

A)Applying the final coat of paint to a surface

B)Removing old paint layers in preparation of a new paint job

C)Smoothing out of a rough surface prior to painting

D)Applying small amounts of paint to fix defects or damage to a painted job

32.A utility knife is useful in which of the following situations?

A)Cutting brown protection paper/ramboard

B)Cutting away caulking from trim or silicone along bathroom edges

C)Cutting Sheetrock

D)All of the above

33.Base molding tends to get marked up over time. Considering this, using a paint sheen that is flat or matte on the base molding is preferable to one that is glossy

A)TRUE

B)FALSE

34.To have a high quality finish when painting walls, protective tape should be applied to the top of any base molding and adjoining edge of floor near that surface. What type of tape should IDEALLY be used to protect base molding and finished wood floor near a wall to be painted from paint splatter?

A)Spackle tape

B)Mesh tape

C)Painter's masking tape (blue)

D)None of the above

35.Denise is using an airless paint sprayer and it is a very hot day. What will happen when she paints?

A)The Paint will be runny

B)The paint will dry too quickly

C)An orange peel texture will result

D)All of the above
These are questions that would be asked on a Journeyman test. If you don't know the answers, your best to do your due diligence. You'd just be cheating yourself..

·
Registered
752 Posts
5.Mr.Bean wants to have the walls of his apartment master bedroom (10' x 19') and two other bedrooms (both are 9' x 11') painted with two coats of paint. The apartment has a ceiling height of 8 feet. If one gallon of paint covers approximately 325 square feet, approximately how many gallons of paint should Mr. Bean buy?

A)6.5 gal

B)7.5 gal

C)7 gal

D)6 gal
The answer to #5 is obviously (B) - 7.5 gallons, but it is also a trick question.

The following pictures are also acceptable answers for "Mr. Bean Painting":

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,155 Posts
depsite not getting much help i appreciate you all for responding either way
Sorry. But, No one is going to hold your hand through life. If your expecting someone to answer all of these questions for you, I applaud them. But what are you gaining is the question?
Will you learn from this? Are you cheating your way into a job or an online course.
I would recommend taking a painting&Decorators course at your local college.

·
Registered
752 Posts
depsite not getting much help i appreciate you all for responding either way
We don't have "Journeyman Tests" in the US, although we need more certification to keep out the riffraff, and raise the level of expertise in our trade.

we always use the term "holidays" when calling out a missed spot on a wall.
eg., "You left a 'holiday' over here, see that missed spot!"

·
Super Moderator
6,868 Posts
We don't have "Journeyman Tests" in the US, although we need more certification to keep out the riffraff, and raise the level of expertise in our trade.

we always use the term "holidays" when calling out a missed spot on a wall.
eg., "You left a 'holiday' over here, see that missed spot!"
I've always wondered how the term holidays came about.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
A physical skills test has been bandied about over the years with various companies I've worked for. Like an applicant might be judged on how quickly and efficiently he paints a door set up in the shop. I've heard old-timers talk about that and I'd ask them if they'd submit to that. Oh, no, of course not them... Just new guys. You can generally tell inside of an hour if a new hire is going to make it or not. Age isn't necessarily a factor and neither is painted whites. I had two older guys show up in well-used whites. One (it turned out) had worked in a tire factory all his life and the other was a minister. Neither had commercial experience- maybe painted their own house or a chicken coop- and I really think they borrowed the whites. The minister's cut-in on a wall was easily a foot down from the ceiling! By that I mean the top of the wall all brushed out a foot down! I told him to leave a little work for the rollerman and cut it closer to the ceiling. Words to that effect. I come back after awhile and his cut-in is skinnier, but also about a 1/4" down from the ceiling- a gap showing! Why?! Who does that?! Clearly someone who has no experience painting. I was the foreman but I didn't hire or fire. I told our superintendent about it and he just decided to cut the guys pay, maybe hoping the guy would quit or just relishing how he was keeping payroll low.

But, yeah, a test at some point and a license of sorts that shows some degree of proven experience. I guess it sounds like I'm talking about an apprenticeship and a union card. Along those lines but no dues?

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
I told him to leave a little work for the rollerman and cut it closer to the ceiling. Words to that effect. I come back after awhile and his cut-in is skinnier, but also about a 1/4" down from the ceiling- a gap showing! Why?! Who does that?!
Not to derail the thread, but there's a few painters around here who've been at it for decades who do this. I wouldn't say a quarter inch, but an eighth to an eighth heavy for sure. I'd never seen it before moving here. Just for giggles, I've tried it and it's not easy to freestyle a straight line like that. I personally don't like the look of it, but some people get pretty excited about it. I should add that the gap is covered in ceiling paint.

·
Administrator
19,666 Posts
I've always wondered how the term holidays came about.
I always figured that when a painter let his mind wander (mentally took a holiday) is when the mistakes would occur. Or, barely doing the job, was akin to being on a holiday.

Reactions: Holland

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I’ve employed a number of European craft-persons who attended standardized vocational schools/guilds which provided formalized classroom education combined with hands-on apprenticeships which were government funded under Germany’s Vocational Training Act. Many nations in Europe have similar guilds and vocational schools. From what I gathered back then, that nearly every skilled tradesperson attended some type of vocational school for a three year duration, although I don’t know how it works nowadays. It’s something lacking in the trades in North America.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

A)6.5 gal

B)7.5 gal

C)7 gal

D)6 gal

The answer is C
Actual = 6.79 but of course we need to purchase 7 gallons.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

Yeah you missed the part where Mrs. Jones master bedroom is 12ft by 20 inches long

1 - 20 of 27 Posts