Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer just sent me a fiberglass door to paint, then he left for vacation until Tuesday. I have no spec sheet, no manufacturer to contact, and no info about the door. The customer also dropped off 1 gallon of latex primer and 1 gallon of acrylic latex enamel. This is an exterior door and I am supposed to paint both sides by Tuesday.

Do I need to sand the fiberglass before coating it? Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to have adhesion problems down the road. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Clean it off, make sure no dirt.

I'd be careful of the enamel on the 'exterior' side of the door. Solo (SW) is rated as an exterior/interior product. Not sure what those paints he gave you are spec'd at, but something to look at.

Other than that just prime/paint as you usual. Waterbased is fine, most manufacturers' will void warranties on doors if oil is used (especially garage doors). Who knew. Just an FYI.

Good luck, let us know how it went!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Adhesion primer suggested, then anything will work on top. SW SOLO is a great choice being interior/exterior. SW multi purpose primer will work wonders. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Scuff with Scotch Brite pad, clean and apply topcoat. The door is already primed so no need for another prime coat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very important to wipe down door with acrysol to remove any mold release agent that is left on the door from manufacturing. That is what causes paint to not stick to FG doors. Two coats of Marquee Ext and your done.

Sent from my iPad using PaintTalk.com

·
Registered
249 Posts
Very important to wipe down door with acrysol to remove any mold release agent that is left on the door from manufacturing. That is what causes paint to not stick to FG doors. Two coats of Marquee Ext and your done.

Had to google that one. I guess you can get that at automotive paints dealer?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

Could you just use denatured alcohol? I wouldn't use laq thinner because that would eat up the door instead of clean it. We do use laq-thinner on garage doors to clean them before we paint. Granted these haven't been previously painted doors though.

Anyway, that's what we usually do, but then again we sand the doors before we paint them to have a better mechanical bond as well. Just a quick pass with a sponge is all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I did as recommended. On my own door, interior. Cleaned, light sanded, cleaned again. Primed with Bin. 2 Coats of BM regal exterior. Wife wanted same color in and out. Not sure why but the paint comes off to the primer with your fingernail. So the primer held but the paint didn't. It's such an eyesore now. It was wintertime and temps around 30 to 40 when I painted the door. Been over a year. I assume I have to sand door to remove old paint and repaint. Anyone want to recommend a better solution?

I have done other fiberglass doors and yeah clean, prime, paint, and collect the check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A customer just sent me a fiberglass door to paint, then he left for vacation until Tuesday. I have no spec sheet, no manufacturer to contact, and no info about the door. The customer also dropped off 1 gallon of latex primer and 1 gallon of acrylic latex enamel. This is an exterior door and I am supposed to paint both sides by Tuesday.

Do I need to sand the fiberglass before coating it? Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to have adhesion problems down the road. Thanks.
Okay. My suggestion; Use TruCoat.Us paints and follow their paint instructions manual. Going with this process, I always have perfect results after painting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts