Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm painting a home in Newport Coast (California coast for those of you who don't know where Newport Coast is) and the client fascia and wood siding.. their paint is lifting. It hasn't been a year since they painted and they are requesting some kind of

"MARINE OIL PAINT"??

They said their neighbors have had it painted with this kind of paint. Due to their location, they get a lot of salty sea air and moisture. They mentioned this paint will hold up.

I have no idea what kind of paint this is and i've been googling this with no luck. I've asked my sales rep @ Dunn Edwards if they had a similar product and they said they don't know.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Have your customer ask the neighbor what paint they used. If you use any other paint, and it fails, they are just going to bad mouth you and say you used crappy paint. Of course when you find out what product it is, make the "call" for yourself if its a quality paint and is appropriate for the application......

·
Banned
503 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
You can get it in most of Orange county too.
Which county is best? Do you have to get a dispensation from Pope Arnie I ?

Some alternatives would be "One Shot" or one of several other boat paints including those of the two component variety. A good source for this information would be literally any boatyard, boat manufacturer or marine supply.

Seems to me that what the customer wants used is what he or she calls it. Kind of like the customer the paint mixer at Home Depot had when they asked for "enamel" All sorts of meanings for that term including "nail enamel aka nail polish that is type of acrylic or NC lacquer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey guys

I'm painting a home in Newport Coast (California coast for those of you who don't know where Newport Coast is) and the client fascia and wood siding.. their paint is lifting. It hasn't been a year since they painted and they are requesting some kind of

"MARINE OIL PAINT"??

They said their neighbors have had it painted with this kind of paint. Due to their location, they get a lot of salty sea air and moisture. They mentioned this paint will hold up.

I have no idea what kind of paint this is and i've been googling this with no luck. I've asked my sales rep @ Dunn Edwards if they had a similar product and they said they don't know.

Any ideas?
I wouldn't!!! It can't expand and contrast with the wood siding and will crack everywhere, esp. around trim. Marine Oil enamels (almost the same as industrial enamels, except it's used on wood instead of metal) are more for small areas, like boats, shelves, doors, you know things that don't "move" like houses. just go with a high quality 100% acrylic paint (if the house is painted) like P&L's Accoalde, SW Superpaint, PPG'S Manor Hall or BM's Aura. Just make sure to get a low sheen paint, apply several coats, back brush or roll, and use a good caulk like Big Stretch. If it is stained, stick with a good oil stain by either Sikkens or Cabot.

·
Banned
503 Posts
I wouldn't!!! It can't expand and contrast with the wood siding and will crack everywhere, esp. around trim. Marine Oil enamels (almost the same as industrial enamels, except it's used on wood instead of metal) are more for small areas, like boats, shelves, doors, you know things that don't "move" like houses. just go with a high quality 100% acrylic paint (if the house is painted) like P&L's Accoalde, SW Superpaint, PPG'S Manor Hall or BM's Aura. Just make sure to get a low sheen paint, apply several coats, back brush or roll, and use a good caulk like Big Stretch. If it is stained, stick with a good oil stain by either Sikkens or Cabot.
Five years in shipyards and I never saw a purple cow or a boat or ship that didn't move at least a little.

I am sure you will fire back with some question about which yards. So to save ya some time if you're still working on that door.

Lockheed
Todd
Marco Marine
Foss Launch and Tug
Vic Franck

As an alternative the fella with the question could just drive down the coast a few miles and hook a right at the main gate to Camp Pendelton and demand they fork over some Marine oil paint. Semper Fi..

·
Registered
9 Posts
To:SPM group, There is no such a paint for homes on the market. The previous neighbors painter lied to them to get the contract.I live on the coast in Fl. A good pressure washing with TSP(tri-sodium phosphate)will remove the salt from the home,then paint with a high quality paint. I never had a problem in 20 yrs.The only marine paint out there is used on boats, I do bottom paints also.The paint runs about $100.00 for a pint,it contains copper to help slow the attachment of barnicles to the bottom.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
To:SPM group, There is no such a paint for homes on the market. The previous neighbors painter lied to them to get the contract.I live on the coast in Fl. A good pressure washing with TSP(tri-sodium phosphate)will remove the salt from the home,then paint with a high quality paint. I never had a problem in 20 yrs.The only marine paint out there is used on boats, I do bottom paints also.The paint runs about $100.00 for a pint,it contains copper to help slow the attachment of barnicles to the bottom.

I remember using the stuff once for a railing on a doc. It was ridiculously expensive. was a while ago but I don't remember the price, just remember saying fook. I had to purchase it at a boat shop down in the belmont shore area. I also remember there was not much on the shelf. This paint was in a small section in the back of the store. Like Gerard said, its hard for me to believe that someone painted their entire house with it.

Welcome Gerard to Pt, if you get a chance post a intro in the intro section :)

Pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 207002 Marine Topside Paint, Navy Blue, 1-Quart: Home Improvement

This? It is available, SW can order it in gallons but very pricey. I would call their tech line. I just re-painted ext.textured 6 panel metal doors in the hi desert here ,southern exposure, w. black satin using latex over BE123 primer since it had a galv. coating. The Rustoleum tech said UV resistance is very low with oil formulas now thanks to the EPA; earth's hi-priests. You also only can use Acetone as thinner legally now, not spirits. I was going to spray them w. HVLP gun.
The VOC laws have caused them to reformulate their oil paints. Not sure on the marine formula but in their typical oil anti-rust formulas they all are poor at UV. now., except the rattle cans. I decided to use their Painter's touch satin latex, w. Floetrol,w. brushing, came out like I sprayed it. It has urethane in the paint. He said that was their best formula ,[ non rattle can,] for not fading/chalking. Very impressed. Takes a while to fully harden though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts