Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am about to begin a job painting a brick house. The brick has never been painted before. The house is in a warm humid climate but the exterior brick will never be exposed to any standing water, just occasional wind driven rain. I plan on using a block filler before painting. My question is using a regular latex block filler like PPG high hide latex block filler adequate, or would I be better off going with a masonry waterproofer such as UGL drylock? I plan on topcoating with a high quality acrylic latex. I understand that the regular latex block filler is probably adequate so I guess what I am really wanting to know is using the masonry waterproofer overkill? All advice is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
15,698 Posts
PPG's Seal Grip states in the TDS that it can be used as a primer over brick, and also accommodate the masonry joints. I'm not certain if the primers designed specifically for porous masonry substrates, like block fillers, are necessarily appropriate for the more dense kiln dried brick.

· Registered
65 Posts
Luxon!!

I always though it was better to use a latex sealer rather than a water-proof sealer because of trapped moisture that freezes. I've scene masonry block that was sealed with a water proofer spall due to rising damp issues and seasonal freeze-thaw cycles. I live in Canada though and in certain areas, my city has a fairly high water table. Luxon is really tough and won't trap moisture, I'ts a favorite of mine.

https://www.calgarypropainting.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.