Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, great forum!!

Been painting for a GC for about 2 hears now. I fancy myself a pretty decent painter at this point. We work in apartment complexes right now. I've been tasked with getting the guys down to 8 hours per apartment in order for it to stay profitable so that's what led me here. Just the other day with my direction we hit our target 8 hours (had the guys finish wall by wall (roll, cut in, repeat))

Ofc one day I'm going to want to strike it out on my own. I think I have the guts and the charm necessary.

Anyways I look forward to asking my first question and participating here!!!

·
Administrator
19,770 Posts
Welcome to the group.

Most here avoid working for GCs if they can for the reasons you described, among others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly he's a bit of a psychopath, or at the least bi-polar (not a knock on those with bpd, it just is what it is). I'd love to go somewhere else but I'm not sure if i'd get paid as much since he uses us for other tasks like fencing.

Would you suggest taking a sharp pay cut to get into the industry in a more legitimate fashion? i.e working for an actual paint contractor.

Does apartment painting even develop the skills I would need to paint higher end homes or businesses?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
From my experience 50% or more of GC's are psycho. If you're really interested in becoming a full-time painter, get yourself a job with a legit PC.

As far as the apartment painting goes, we all had to start somewhere. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts