Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Painting Laminate Floors

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  diT 
#1 ·
Hey there, any advice on painting laminate floors. Client wants me to clean up a job that some else did.

Seems when the client put his furniture on the newly painted floor it scratched and you can see through to the laminate. Was told they used BIN and floor paint.

I'm thinking rough the floor up with 80 grit reapply a first coat and then rough the floor up a second time with 220 and apply a second coat.

Any feedback/thoughts on how to handle is appreciated.

#5 ·
I'm in the "run-away" camp.

First, BIN isn't spec'd for floors (from the TDS: "B-I-N Shellac-Base Primer is not recommended for whole surface exterior application or for application to floors")

This would need to be taken all the way back down to bare surface.

But in this regard, "laminate" is often used merely to refer to "laminated" rather than some specific substrate that's on the top layer. So you could specify what the actual substrate is.

Don't much matter, you can't put anything over it now that would somehow fix the problem.

#7 ·
Wonder why the first guy wasn’t called back to “fix” it? There is a reason something as common as sliding furniture scratched through. As others have said, decline this one. Or, if you are intent on taking it on, have them sign a waiver of responsibility in which they won’t hold you responsible for further scratching issues.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Did you bother to read the previous posts about this? Doubt you did or you wouldn’t have posted your question.
With that said:
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

If you're not a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.