Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a bathroom next week where I will be painting over ceramic tiles. I'm figuring on 1 coat of Cover Stain and 2 coats of Aura SG. What do you guys do to prep the tile before priming?

·
Registered
152 Posts
That tub epoxy is a good idea if you can convince HO to use one of the package whites or whatever color. I would make sure to use a product specifically for ceramic. I brush and roll the epoxy and I lays out decently. Spraying it will be very, very, very stinky. Being on the floor it shouldnt matter to have a few brush marks. I guess im thinking of a small floor in a rental type home. Worth a tester spot though. Go put a tester spot of whatever bonding priimer you decide to use on it after its prepped and come back when its cured to see if it stuck. I saw a special product at parker for ceramic. Its a 2 part as well.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
We do alot of tile & tubs. If you don't want the slightest possibility of failure do what we do:

2 part epoxy based primer from ppg:

ForumRunner_20140712_181501.jpg

Applied via HVLP. Then topcoat with epoxy of choice. This is NOT the cheap route, but the best. We carry a 10yr warranty, it's that good.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I painted some wall tiles a while back. Cleaned with lacquer thinner and a scotch pad, and primed with gripper.

The gripper bonded well enough. This was a fix-it-up to sell type deal, I did it all with foam rollers.
I'm going over a very similar pink tile. I've never tried the Gripper but I may give it a shot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
XIM, Stix, BIN, or 1-2-3 should work fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rustoleum spray epoxy is great if the HO wants white or Biscuit color. We used in a hotel for lots of tubs and after a year...so far NO peeling or chipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts