Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

painting over pine

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Macsimus 
#1 ·
I used some pine stock as trim in my garage.
It has some large knots .
I want to paint the trim a dark brown , now I read that the knots might bleed through.

What is the proper primer and finish coat for me to use ?

#5 ·
If the stock is unprimed, you will want to prime it with an oil based primer. I never use latex primer on bare wood. Ideally, you would want to prime all 6 sides of each peice of wood before they are installed. But it sounds like your garage is already trimmed out. To kill the knots, you can spot prime them with Zinzers Bin alcohol based primer. Buy a quart and use an 1 1/2" disposable chip brush. You should hit them twice just to be sure they won't bleed through (although you are using a dark paint so they might not be very noticeable). Any decent latex top coat would work, depending on what you want. Ben Moore, Sherwin-w, Pratt and Lam, all good quality. Avoid Home Depot or hardware store brands. Don't forget to fill the nail holes, sand after the primer and remove the dust and caulk gaps before applying the finish coat!!

#7 ·
You can use what ever you prefer. A semi gloss is typical for trim, as is satin; sometimes eggshell, rarely flat. A semi will be the most washable. With todays technology the latexes are equal if not better than oils. Latexes are more flexible to withstand the swelling and shrinking that goes along with the temperature and humidity changes. Oils are more of a pain in the but to work with, thinner, cleaning brrushes, cleaning up splatters and drips etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.