Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
In my neck of the woods,smooth texture is in.

Usually in the high end NC homes,it's all smooth.

It's a real PITA though,cause you cant touch them up,everything you do to tu a smooth wall shows IME.

Even when I backroll the wall,I can go to roll some tu spots,it shows.

Really ticks me off too,end up rolling whole walls that dont need to be repainted over some silly little dings the carpet people put on em or whatever.

If the tu spot is really tiny,I will get a small brush and just put a tiny dot on it and that will work,hand prints and smears that will wipe off thats what I do.

I hate touch ups.
and with dark colors it just magnifies the problem. I had one house that had to be sprayed corner to corner, you couldn't touch it with a roller or a brush, iit was a PIA. Try telling the elite that they cant have the color they want. one lid we had to have it skimmed coated and paint with no primer, because as we built the paint, it flashed bad. that was a painful but yet good learning experience.

·
Administrator
19,763 Posts
In my neck of the woods,smooth texture is in.

Usually in the high end NC homes,it's all smooth.

It's a real PITA though,cause you cant touch them up,everything you do to tu a smooth wall shows IME.

Even when I backroll the wall,I can go to roll some tu spots,it shows.

Really ticks me off too,end up rolling whole walls that dont need to be repainted over some silly little dings the carpet people put on em or whatever.

If the tu spot is really tiny,I will get a small brush and just put a tiny dot on it and that will work,hand prints and smears that will wipe off thats what I do.

I hate touch ups.
Hope it all stays in your neck of the woods. Only smooth stuff out here is in older homes. Same with popcorn ceilings... 60's - early 70's era. Even much of that has been removed over time and replaced with a different texture. Our house was built in 76 and had PC ceilings throughout - no asbestos. We removed it all and had a knockdown applied. Any NC stuff is either knockdown or orange peel.
Went to the Street of Dreams show in Portland this past weekend. 800K - 2 mil homes - all NC. A variety of textures but not a single smooth wall or ceiling in the bunch. :no:

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I did it the same way Gabe does his, though usually wouldn't lay the first coat on too heavy. Nothing worse than spraying on a good heavy coat and watching the popcorn fall off in chunks.

I've use the Homex in a can, it was okay. Sometimes if the repair or area was small, I'd mix up a small batch and dab it on with a brush. Otherwise, I'd just pull out the hopper. Easier to go with what you know works the first time even if it is a little more work.

·
TERRY365
521 Posts
For me when it come too patching the stuff . If it's a small enough ceiling I would scrap the whole the whole ceiling . That's always going to give the best patch . Yet not always practical . The hardest thing I find when patching pop corn is in the transitions . From masking I stager my my masking to avoid straight lines . That helps . Matching the right texture from fine to coarse . Also cuz it's sucks trying to get a fine pop c text tobe coarse . I also spray it twice to make sure it looks good . I either do them perfect or I start over . Pop corn is easy knock down ceiling patches can be a pita .

·
Premium Member
15,085 Posts
I spray mine, 2 different directions. I lay a heavy coat on each coat to give is a nice finish. I have never had a problem with this or experienced a failure with my preferred method.

How do you paint them?
Wow! This takes me back to the 80's

Pretty much the standard application up here in the Bay Area.

BTW, and despite the criticism of the 49ers being gay because they're from SF, they still beat the " bad ass" Oakland Raiders tonight. LOL:thumbup:

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
Wow! This takes me back to the 80's

Pretty much the standard application up here in the Bay Area.

BTW, and despite the criticism of the 49ers being gay because they're from SF, they still beat the " bad ass" Oakland Raiders tonight. LOL:thumbup:
hurray for the gay area.., I mean, the bay area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hate popcorn. Don't see much of it in the northeast. My preference is cover the floors with plastic, spray the ceiling with water until soaked, scrape the popcorn off with a 10 inch trowel onto one of those drywall squares with the handle on the bottom, dump in a garbage can, then skim coat, sand, prime and finish coat.

Otherwise, spraying seems to be the best IMO

·
Administrator
19,763 Posts
I hate popcorn. Don't see much of it in the northeast. My preference is cover the floors with plastic, spray the ceiling with water until soaked, scrape the popcorn off with a 10 inch trowel onto one of those drywall squares with the handle on the bottom, dump in a garbage can, then skim coat, sand, prime and finish coat.

Otherwise, spraying seems to be the best IMO
We removed all of it in our house just as you described above and had a knock down applied. However, before we bought the house we obtained a sample and sent it to a lab to determine if it contained asbestos - it didn't. :no:

·
Administrator
19,763 Posts
21 - 40 of 44 Posts