Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Residential Painter
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic recently renovated his basement and asked me do some finishing work he doesn't have time to do. (Bartering on this one).

Long story short, I went balls out on rough cut lumber because I had time to "play" while other stuff was drying. These stairs are now smooth as Tennessee whiskey!

I'm using Impervo. Tip off on stringers and risers, but don't know if rolling the treads would be a better option visually.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Residential Painter
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my day got completely derailed...

I taped the walls along the trim and base boards. Gorgeous finish.

Pull tape and half the wall comes with it! He used Ben paint and primer, in semi-gloss, on bare drywall. Ouch!

Once I finish this job, I will be handing over the keys to my 94' Blazer. Payback is a bitch! 🤗

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,988 Posts

Pull tape and half the wall comes with it! He used Ben paint and primer, in semi-gloss, on bare drywall. Ouch!

Once I finish this job, I will be handing over the keys to my 94' Blazer. Payback is a bitch! 🤗
I sware, I'm done taping walls. That always happens to me. Even with yellow frog tape sometimes. You can never trust what the original yahoo did. On kitchen cabinet jobs now, I'll just overspray onto the walls and then repaint them. It's just as fast anyway, but no damage..

·
Registered
Residential Painter
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sware, I'm done taping walls. That always happens to me. Even with yellow frog tape sometimes. You can never trust what the original yahoo did. On kitchen cabinet jobs now, I'll just overspray onto the walls and then repaint them. It's just as fast anyway, but no damage..
I usually don't tape walls, but I did this time because I was using oil.

At least he was cool about it. His response was, "You know I couldn't make it easy for you". Can't ask for a better reaction!

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,699 Posts

The only thing I ever tape is baseboards and never walls. As @finishesbykevyn said "I sware, I'm done taping walls. That always happens to me. Even with yellow frog tape sometimes. You can never trust what the original yahoo did. On kitchen cabinet jobs now, I'll just over-spray onto the walls and then repaint them. It's just as fast anyway, but no damage.." I never understood the people that are gunge-ho with tape! I could tape my own walls because I do the prep, :LOL: but I just never do, I'd rather free hand it with a brush to cut in.

·
Registered
Residential Painter
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For clarification, I am a big fan of hyperbole. "Half the wall" didn't tear up. As soon as I saw an issue in a spot, I slowed down pulling and it was all good.

Anywho, I have a question on how to better handle painting stairs in the future. The problem I ran into was mostly due to miscommunication with HO, but it brought up a few questions for me.

Prep: standard basement stair package from HD (I'm kicking myself for forgetting before pics!). Bare wood, knots, gaps, etc. Rough sand and whizzied coat of Cover Stain.

I'm sure there is a proper term for this, but I added a little bit of water to wood filler and skim coated everything. Sanded. Another coat of Cover Stain.

It has been extremely humid and I used oil, fwiw. 2 coats of white 24 hrs dry time in between. 220 sand between coats. That is when the HO asked about the treads being gray instead of white. Doh!
Furniture Shelf Rectangle Cabinetry Shelving

I put on a coat of gray oil the next day and it looked like crap! Trying to sand was gummy and the brush marks were icky.

In one of the rare instances when working for friends is in your favor, he was totally cool with me coming back a week later (FOC per my request).

I'm 5 years in and this was new terrain for me. I've obviously painted stairs before, but not from bare wood and the stairs were usually a nightmare to begin with. In the end, I view any lost money on labor as learning fees.

I feel like some problems were caused by not allowing enough dry time given the humidity. I also think it may have been too many coats to only give it 24 hours in between. Plus, I used a whizzie then tip-off, which I feel could have put too much paint on the surface.

I sanded everything back down to smooth (220) a week later. First coat of treads is looking good. The HO is cool with me giving it a week before rehitting risers (another miscommunication. Grrrr).

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to improve my method. I honestly enjoy this type of stuff and want to hone my skills before attempting more than basement stairs. Any input is helpful.

Sidebar: I am incredibly fortunate to know people who are willing to give me the opportunity to learn and grow as a painter. These are jobs I didn't have to bid on, so my learning experience did not come by underbidding someone else.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
For clarification, I am a big fan of hyperbole. "Half the wall" didn't tear up. As soon as I saw an issue in a spot, I slowed down pulling and it was all good.

Anywho, I have a question on how to better handle painting stairs in the future. The problem I ran into was mostly due to miscommunication with HO, but it brought up a few questions for me.

Prep: standard basement stair package from HD (I'm kicking myself for forgetting before pics!). Bare wood, knots, gaps, etc. Rough sand and whizzied coat of Cover Stain.

I'm sure there is a proper term for this, but I added a little bit of water to wood filler and skim coated everything. Sanded. Another coat of Cover Stain.

It has been extremely humid and I used oil, fwiw. 2 coats of white 24 hrs dry time in between. 220 sand between coats. That is when the HO asked about the treads being gray instead of white. Doh! View attachment 114391

I put on a coat of gray oil the next day and it looked like crap! Trying to sand was gummy and the brush marks were icky.

In one of the rare instances when working for friends is in your favor, he was totally cool with me coming back a week later (FOC per my request).

I'm 5 years in and this was new terrain for me. I've obviously painted stairs before, but not from bare wood and the stairs were usually a nightmare to begin with. In the end, I view any lost money on labor as learning fees.

I feel like some problems were caused by not allowing enough dry time given the humidity. I also think it may have been too many coats to only give it 24 hours in between. Plus, I used a whizzie then tip-off, which I feel could have put too much paint on the surface.

I sanded everything back down to smooth (220) a week later. First coat of treads is looking good. The HO is cool with me giving it a week before rehitting risers (another miscommunication. Grrrr).

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to improve my method. I honestly enjoy this type of stuff and want to hone my skills before attempting more than basement stairs. Any input is helpful.

Sidebar: I am incredibly fortunate to know people who are willing to give me the opportunity to learn and grow as a painter. These are jobs I didn't have to bid on, so my learning experience did not come by underbidding someone else.
Looks good but a bit of advice for the next time…alkyd SI experiences “extreme” alkyd yellowing when used in locations devoid of UV light such as basement stairwells. Also, alkyd enamels are generally too soft for stair treads…best to use a urethane-alkyd enamel for non-white treads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts