Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Amber shellac has a warm, orange cast that gives woodwork a rich, antique character. Clear shellac dries translucent with a faint, golden cast that is significantly lighter than oil-based varnishes.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Amber shellac has a warm, orange cast that gives woodwork a rich, antique character. Clear shellac dries translucent with a faint, golden cast that is significantly lighter than oil-based varnishes.
We're talking about using as a primer, not a topcoat.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,326 Posts
Not talking about "BIN", rather just clear shellac. I have no doubt that it adheres well, but more of a finish then a primer?
Reduced dewaxed shellac will act as washcoat and somewhat seal the surface, depending upon how much it is reduced. Washcoats are especially useful before trying to stain blotch-prone woods. Zinsser SealCoat would be considered a sealer. I generally think of pigmented "sealers" as primers, although I doubt that's where the experts would draw the line.
In regards to your question on a different post, "I had also thought about that. Although the shellac may be hard to bond too?"
Not sure if I'm understanding the question, but almost anything sticks to shellac, (although many will caution against applying a poly over waxed shellac).

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Reduced dewaxed shellac will act as washcoat and somewhat seal the surface, depending upon how much it is reduced. Washcoats are especially useful before trying to stain blotch-prone woods. Zinsser SealCoat would be considered a sealer. I generally think of pigmented "sealers" as primers, although I doubt that's where the experts would draw the line.
In regards to your question on a different post, "I had also thought about that. Although the shellac may be hard to bond too?"
Not sure if I'm understanding the question, but almost anything sticks to shellac, (although many will caution against applying a poly over waxed shellac).
Not really ever using just clear Shellac, I was under the impression that it was a hard slick finish, therefore being harder to bond too. I was never sure on this though..It was more of a question whether it could be used as a primer over a previously finished product.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Ive asked about clear versions of bin or or using clear shellac as primer, and never got an answer.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I worked for an old man who used sanding sealers instead of primers on wood. He didnt know what the hell he was doing though.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I was under the impression that everything sticks to (de-waxed) shellac, and that shellac is a universal sealer (sticks to everything).

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
151 Posts
if it is a lacquer substrate finish that you are working on,if you did not dewax, gave a good lacquer thinner treatment and a sanding first,de waxed shellac has a very little sticking effect on to lacquer.
It is sometimes easy and safe to use on raw wood to seal before staining as a wash coat but not for refinishing situations.
Lacquer to lacquer is very safe and easy finishing schedule.rest of them is a bomb on a timer.you never know when it will fail.All you need a cool flow mask and a well ventilated area to spray.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts