Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
I started a question like this over on contractor talk a while back. 90% of people said they are a waste of money, that they don't end up using them.

I opted not to get one.

So as far as majority opinion goes, stick to the old tried and true :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think smart phones are starting to take over the market and they do just about everything a pocket pc can. I think within a year we are going to see some really cool phones come put that enable us to do more with our phones.

But I used one for scheduling. My wife would take phone calls throughout the day and enter appointments into Outlook. At night I would dock my pocket pc to charge and it would also get all my to do items and appointments. Then I was ready to go in the morning.

It would be nicer to have this on a phone though. One less item to carry around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think smart phones are starting to take over the market and they do just about everything a pocket pc can. I think within a year we are going to see some really cool phones come put that enable us to do more with our phones.

But I used one for scheduling. My wife would take phone calls throughout the day and enter appointments into Outlook. At night I would dock my pocket pc to charge and it would also get all my to do items and appointments. Then I was ready to go in the morning.

It would be nicer to have this on a phone though. One less item to carry around.

I considered the phone option, but I still work in the field and am pretty rough on phones. I usually need to replace my phone every year so I thought a Palm Pilot would be a better option, as it can stay in the truck when I'm on site.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a nextel 530 rugged.... so far it's the strongest phone i've ever abused.... far as the rest, I had a palm pilot once, it got stolen, gonna just get an in truck laptop.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
I use a windows mobile phone with a full version of Microsoft Outlook, which I use to manage all my calendar and contact info. If I add something in the field it syncs up when I get home and vice versus if i add something at home automatically sends to the phone. I had a pda before and hated it, being separate from the phone so it always stayed in the truck and I never sync it.

I love the laptop idea tho too. I have thought about that a lot. One thing about a laptop something the thugs can see when they are snooping around for something to steal. But I guess thats what the insurance is for.

·
Epoxy Dude
566 Posts
I use a Samsung i-730...

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-i730-Phone-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B000A6TRRG?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1178629525&sr=1-1

We also use ACT! from Sage Software that syncs to Outlook and Quickbooks...

So, all of my 3000+ contacts, my notes on them, my schedule, their phone numbers... AND... alarms that remind me to call people back when I'm supposed to sync to my phone...

Now, all of that said... I can see why some people say they don't use them. I'd didn't really use mine for at least the first year except to keep customer's phone numbers... There IS a learning curve. BUT, once you get through it there is great benefit!

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
I agree there is a learning curve. I am into the whole computer thing so it wasn't hard for me to learn it. Hell I remember being online (AOL) in 1992 and paying by the minute to be online - oh how far we have come!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The trick to using the palm pilots is to get in the habit of using them. You could have a personal secretary, but if you don't use it for its inteded pupose, it's useless. Mine stays in my truck, I carry a small notepad in my pocket during the day. I transfer important info like meetings, to-do list items etc to the palm pilot at the end of the day. Get in the habit of using it and they are priceless.

I actually like the fact it's not hooked to my phone, that way i can talk on the phone as I add info to the palm.

If you download the software you can print from them too. I carry a HP450 printer in my truck, and I have blank proposal, invioce and change order documents on my palm. All I have to do is hold the palm up to the printer and that "pain in the butt customer" has a change order to sign on the spot. I don't need it often, but when i do, Priceless!

You can also use them as MP3 players, for music or my new favorite, audio books. Also keep pics of previous jobs to show customers. There are programs so you can view maps and even get directions.

Lets see you do all that with a pad of paper.;)

If you get one, just use it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use a Samsung i-730...

We also use ACT! from Sage Software that syncs to Outlook and Quickbooks...

So, all of my 3000+ contacts, my notes on them, my schedule, their phone numbers... AND... alarms that remind me to call people back when I'm supposed to sync to my phone...

I just started using ACT and like the idea of having all that info available to me in the field.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used a Palm Pilot for years before switching over to a smart phone. My office manager uses one to keep track of the schedules and other task.

If you buy one learn to use it over the weekend and remove all paper and pens from your life (except one for signing contracts). If you jump in and use it for a couple of week then it will become sort of a lifestyle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thats' the one I use also. But have been looking at the blackjack a lot thinner 8125 isn't an easy phone to carry around.
Funny you mention that, I was in the Cingular store the other day looking for a new phone. I find that I can do without about 1/2 of the options that the 8125 offers. I want to give up half of the options for half of the size and weight, Cingular does not want to design a phone just for me.

The blackberry's keyboards are exposed and they look a little fragile. I forget what I did not like in the blackjack.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Yeah i have not gone in and looked at the blackjack, I may change services I use my cell for business and get a crappy signal here at my house. Sucks when your talking business and you have to go stand outside to talk. I live in kind of in a valley where a few rivers meet so I am not sure if others are gonna give me a better signal either.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts