Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to try some thing different. Something more comfortable. I think it's strange that dickies is the only brand you can buy. I found some brands online from the states. Nothing really in Canada.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I gave up on "painter's pants" and just went to wearing whatever cheap but comfortable pants I don't mind making a mess of. Right now (after working on my own house all day) I'm wearing a pair of some $15 a pair things Tractor Supply sells. I forget what they're called, and they don't feel all that "durable" but they're comfy. If you're worried about the look they're light beige (so "pass" as "whites") and have the hammer loop and tool pocket. Yesterday it was some off-white cargo pants I got at a "discount store" for like $10. They were "irregulars" so cheap, but comfy. I also grab a lot of stuff from thrift stores for like $5 / pair.

If you're really ambitious though, you could try these: Ralph Lauren - Painter's Pants

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sears branded painter pants. These are the most comfortable painter pants that I have ever owned. Comfort is a priority now that I'm an old fart. I believe that they are a cotton/poly blend. Carharts used to be great. Not much for comfort and a bit pricey.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Carharrt all the way. I like the relaxed fit carpenter ones. Pockets are easy to get hands in and out of and last forever. I honestly don’t understand the whole painter whites thing? They get dirty looking so fast and the only painters that wear them around here look like their trying to score some drugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red Seal
48 Posts
Hello I am in Canada. I am looking for pants other than dickies. Please give me some suggestions.
If you want professional looking "whites", try Blakladder. They're not the most comfortable pants I've ever worn, but they are functional and they look good.

After 20 years in this trade I just wear jeans. I ditched the whites years ago.

Edit: Looks like Tapwater beat me to it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here in the states Dickies are everywhere. They're okay, not stylish, have a one-size-fits-all approach --5-pocket, high rise/waisted, may run small to size, stiff canvas fabric which some may find uncomfortable.. Would be great if they have different types of painter's pants made from lightweight, tough, soft, stretchy, possibly paint resistant fabric in various cool offwhites w/ gray undertones. Hey painters need to look stylish too. j/k

·
Registered
7 Posts
For years I searched for the perfect painters pants.

My criteria-

Comfortable, durable, built in knee pads, good pocket configuration. I despise the side of leg pocket as putty knife jabs into leg when crouching.

I started with dickies as many of us do. These are terrible. They are ill fitting, too tight, poor pocket configuration, not durable.
I feel like I'm wearing a straight jacket when I wear these.

Then I found Armed workwear pants. These were much better than dickies. Armed workwear have built in knee pads slots and good pocket configuration. However they suffered from quality control and some of the stitching prematurely would come apart. AlsobArmed workwear went out of business a few years ago.

Enter... Blaklader the best painters pants, correction, the best pants I've ever worn. I've worn them for years for almost everything. I have them in the whites tan navy etc

Blakladers accept knee pad inserts.
Blakladers have built in tool pouches and excellent pocket configuration.
Blakladers are brushed fabric and extremely comfortable to wear. The stitching is top knotch and fit and finish is excellent.
The also have ripstop fabric in the knees and inside some of the pockets. I've never once had a knee blowout with these pants.

I typically order mine from fullsource.com

Sizing runs true in the waist and one size long in the inseam. I typically wear 36 32. In blaklader 36 30 fit the best.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Crazy4paint, how long have you been wearing them for/how long have you had them last? I had a pair of hand-me-down Engelbert Strauss’ last me 3/4 years after my boss had them for at least that long. He got rid of them after they got “too many bits of paint of them”, the stitching eventually failed after being washed weekly or better for their working life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Crazy4paint, how long have you been wearing them for/how long have you had them last? I had a pair of hand-me-down Engelbert Strauss’ last me 3/4 years after my boss had them for at least that long. He got rid of them after they got “too many bits of paint of them”, the stitching eventually failed after being washed weekly or better for their working life.
Wait, what? You are saying you have a pair of work pants that have lasted 6-8 years? Wow. I've never heard of anything remotely close to that. These pants are in use 40hrs a week year round for that long?

To answer your question. I have never thrown out a pair due to them coming apart. I usually get approx 4-6 months our of a pair wearing them 50hrs week. I always end up replacing them because they get too dirty and unprofessional looking, not because they have worn out or failed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wait, what? You are saying you have a pair of work pants that have lasted 6-8 years? Wow. I've never heard of anything remotely close to that. These pants are in use 40hrs a week year round for that long?

To answer your question. I have never thrown out a pair due to them coming apart. I usually get approx 4-6 months our of a pair wearing them 50hrs week. I always end up replacing them because they get too dirty and unprofessional looking, not because they have worn out or failed.
I did! They weren’t my only pair of work pants, good for a day or two per week. To be honest, they probably looked unprofessional but no one really cares on commercial sites.Also, you can tease HO’s about which colour on your pants they’d like on their next project once your pants get colourful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts