Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
speed comes with quality
190 Posts
clearly the problem is the light. are they leaving the window open and showing you these spots? if so, put the blinds and curtains back on so they can see it in realistic conditions.

Just the other day i was asked to redo a large hard ceiling with 500 watt metal halides hanging all around it. I told the super I would look at it when the track lights were on and the halides were down. Once the real lights were on the ceiling was perfect. I can't paint perfection, and you can't either

·
Administrator
20,265 Posts

·
Administrator
20,265 Posts
I like to unscrew the light bulbs so that they have poor lighting then I upcharge them to put new ones in on my way out. :jester:
Amateur... I charge $25 for a sleep mask.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
There actually are instances where double coating a ceiling would be bad thing to do. I think the best way to paint a ceiling is to prime it and then paint it one coat flat. This way, your paint is drying on top of the primer. If you then apply another coat of flat, your paint is now drying on top of porous flat paint so it is more likely to dry down unevenly.

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
My favorite way to do a ceiling, especially one that hasn't been finished for a long time is to prime it (with gardz) or even a pva if there is no stains. Followed by a decent flat paint.

There are many popcorn ceilings here that haven't even been painted. They just blow the texture on. Gardz or pva, I prefer gardz but over the pond you may not have access to it.

When I'm all done I close the shades.

·
Administrator
20,265 Posts
Quite a few around here that have never been painted that aren't popcorn. A skim coat then a second knock down coat that's slightly tinted. Gives a subtle two tone look.

·
Administrator
20,265 Posts

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
I like to unscrew the light bulbs so that they have poor lighting then I upcharge them to put new ones in on my way out. :jester:
HA!
When my last tenant moved out, she had me do the final inspection at night.
Mysteriously, a lot of the lights had burned out.
The next morning, I found huge scratches in the hardwood floors.

Sorry for the derail..but I got reminded of something.
(that happens to me a lot)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't get how a second coat would make things worse. Even if he's talking about repair patches flashing, they should be a little less obvious with each coat, not more obvious. I'm thinking maybe the paint is old or contaminated, or his "newish" roller cover is contaminated.

Maybe worth sanding, spot-priming, and re-painting (with new roller cover, after filtering/screening the paint) one or two of the problem areas, just to see if it helps. If so, another top coat solves the problem, and if not, well, I don't know...

·
High Roller Painters
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I don't get how a second coat would make things worse. Even if he's talking about repair patches flashing, they should be a little less obvious with each coat, not more obvious. I'm thinking maybe the paint is old or contaminated, or his "newish" roller cover is contaminated.

Maybe worth sanding, spot-priming, and re-painting (with new roller cover, after filtering/screening the paint) one or two of the problem areas, just to see if it helps. If so, another top coat solves the problem, and if not, well, I don't know...
read the whole thread and you will see how a second coat makes it worse.

·
Logistics
3,090 Posts
A previous bad roll job will be seen with some paints when you apply an awesome roll job over it. Some flats enhance previous workmanship. Typically a quick pole sanding will not remove heavy nap texture or start and stop points or random rolling techniques a previous coating left behind.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts