Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys use a payroll service? Is it the way to go? Pro's and Con's?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
My employment/payroll service charges $8 per check. I pay bi-weekly, two employees.
Includes all the legal forms ( I-9, federal W4, state W4, unemployment, direct deposit, etc...) for the employees and me as a business owner.
Of course all payroll is automatically deducted from my business checking account which is also set up by them.
They also give legal advice.
You better have workman's comp for your employees if they are on payroll !
That's a whole different topic to discuss there !
Remember, a separate file for each employee has to be kept in your office or where ever you designate as a office, in it are copies of the legal forms, copy of drivers license and social security card.
They also provide the employee information poster which is suppose to by law hang in your office.
My wife does all the Quick Book data entry for everything else.
She calls in a book keeper twice a year to verify all the Quick Books data and charges us $45 an hour.
By the way, I pay $9.39 per $100 of payroll for workman's comp.
Electricians in the area pay $3 per $100 !!!!!!

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for being so thorough ms. I am aware that I need workers comp. I just hired my first guy and am getting all squared away. Your numbers seem pretty reasonable. I thought workers comp was out the roof. Is 10% the norm? Because that's very do-able. And then $8 per check for your payroll service. I didn't know it could it be this cheap.

I'm curious to hear from others to compare rates and such.

Thanks

·
Freedom Maker
119 Posts
We use paychex, I don't know what I would do without it. No, I do know, I would pay fines again when I didn't get my taxes in on time. It doesn't matter what it costs every month - I can upsell a current client or book a new client a whole lot faster than calculate payroll and taxes and stay IRS compliant and , excuse me I want to vomit I have thinking of that sort of thing.... We run painters weekly, office staff and management bi weekly, I think it runs me about $125/month for 12 employees, with two different sets of pay plans and they auto pay our employee sponsored benefits (AFLAC).

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just switched banks to Bank of America. Now I'm part of a bank that knows how to provide modern conveniences! They offer payroll services, direct deposit, they calculate taxes and withholdings and are linked with quickbooks for taxes, and pretty much everything else you could imagine. It's very easy and I have just eliminated the need for a separate payroll service all together! I'm stoked. The best thing is that it's all online and I'm in control of it all. Plus their customer support is amazing.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just switched banks to Bank of America. Now I'm part of a bank that knows how to provide modern conveniences! They offer payroll services, direct deposit, they calculate taxes and withholdings and are linked with quickbooks for taxes, and pretty much everything else you could imagine. It's very easy and I have just eliminated the need for a separate payroll service all together! I'm stoked. The best thing is that it's all online and I'm in control of it all. Plus their customer support is amazing.
I LOVE Bank of America and the online services they provide. They really blow away the competition when it comes to that stuff.

Bill paying got a lot easier when I switched to them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ever used ADP payroll services?

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone with ADP. They are listed on the PDCA website. I think you can get a discount if you are a PDCA member. I am about to hire my first employee and thinking of using them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
From everything I understand ADP is pretty expensive.

I got set up with Bank of America today.

You just can't beat them, IMO.

I don't like doing business with the man, but they are the best.

It looks like I will be getting set up with them for credit cards too.

·
6,326 Posts
I use bank of america for all of our banking and I run all employees thru south east personell leasing they cover everything taxes, comp you name it. It costs us .33 per $ that includes all their taxes, comp, ssi, etc...
I have set up a seperate payroll account that I deposit funds into that they can access each week. I turn the time in Saturday checks are dropped off Wednesday morning. I'm extreamly pleased. It frees up alot of time and worry. I also recomend a good accountant. Another great time and worry saver. Thats about another $1,500 a year but time is money to me. I know painting, They know money. She has actually saved me more than she costs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts