Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. Just a fly by night new member here, but I'm hoping some of you will take some of your valuable time to give me some professional advice. I Bought a house in Jan of 2020 and it was un heated at the time. Prob was un heated for 2-3 years too. So I had peeling paint all inside the house when I got in. Some rooms were basically fine, but most of the house had real bad peeling paint everywhere. Kitchen paint is peeling its top layer off another bottom layer of paint (not down to plaster), but most the rest in other parts of the house is peeling down to the plaster.

I haven't acetone tested all parts of the house but so far I have determined that we have a mix of latex and oil based paints in this house, with probably majority of it being oil based.

Kitchen is latex paint over a pink oil based paint on the walls. The latex is peeling off the oil based pink layer, but not peeling away from plaster.

Master bedroom is oil based paint peeling away from and exposing the plaster walls underneath.

Not sure what to do here guys. The peeling is very bad. Last Jan. we scrapped like crazy all the peeling chunks and over time has just re- appeared with more peeling. So its on going, and been months and I haven't wanted to paint my house since we got in until the peeling has stopped, for I fear that if we just do another scrape down and then paint, the new paint would peel off with the old at the same rate its been going....?

I asked a pro painter aquantence about this and his reccomendation was:
1. scrape all the loose peeling paint.
2. oil base prime everything.
3. Take joint compound and try to do some magic filling in the peeled spots so you cant see the peeled spots under the new top coats.
4. two top coat paint (cant remember if he said oil or latex tho).

What do you guys think of his advice? And what would your reccomendations be? One thing about his advice I see having a problem with, is the joint compound. If I just had a few small spots that had peeled away, then ya I can fill in those spots with joint compound, but in at least the master bedroom and kitchen, 1/4-1/2 of the whole room has the walls/ceiling completely peeled away. So maybe I can use the joint compound to feather the edge where the peel line is with the plaster, but idk how this is going to look....

Here is some photos. And, again..Thanks for any help with this guys!
IMG_7188.JPG
IMG_7189.JPG
IMG_7190.JPG
IMG_7192.JPG
IMG_7193.JPG
IMG_7194.JPG
IMG_7196.JPG
IMG_7197.JPG
IMG_7198.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last three photos you can see my acetone test in the kitchen. The pink paint is oil based, but the top finish is def latex with a possible middle layer that is oil based.

·
Administrator
20,037 Posts
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com. If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php.

This thread is now closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.