Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about ways to increase the success rate of closings. I'm getting a dismal rate of about 10% closings on my estimates and I'm pricing very aggressively.

Any tips on what helps close a sale?

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
what are you offering them

Any tips on what helps close a sale?
IMO a sale has less to do with price and more about having a solid package (what you are offering). Why should they hire you over someone else. Don't get me wrong, people love to shop around based solely on price (but suprisingly some don't though).

Things like your terms and conditions, your warranty, what does your website look like (and have you directed potential customers to browse it while they are deciding). Are you in the phone book and online advertising. How do your vehicles look. Are you giving past customer testimonials and pictures. What do you hand customers to look over and sign. Do you simply talk with them like friends. Are you going to give them what they want, or what you want. These are the things that I feel are much more important than price.

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
Differentiate yourself. That's the best way to win jobs, no matter the price.

Spend time with the customer-- learn what they want and why. Discover what they want in their contractor. Learn their hot buttons. Look to make the job better. Find out what concerns they have.

Once you learn these things, go away and think about them. Then propose a job that meets their concerns and provides them with a better experience than your competitors. Meet with them to review your proposal. That alone will win you more jobs. Provide them a solution to their problem and their issues, not what you think they want or need.

For example, if they really appreciate promptness, an On Time Guarantee could sell them. Offer to take $100 off the bill any time you are late. We've done this for years and a lot of people appreciate it. (We've never had to pay-- we show up on time. But it shows that we are serious about respecting their time.)

Brian Phillips

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I had a sales guy working for me and it was very interesting to see the differences. We had A LOT of sales materials including bid folders, on site printed proposals, client survey/reviews, paint brochures and more. We also used a system where we would measure the house and enter the data into an excel spreadsheet that spit out an exact number for the bid... it even calculated materials cost.
So, what I'm getting at is that our prices and sales materials were exactly the same.

In the end I averaged about a 40% win rate and he averaged about an 18% win rate. A lot depends on how you are presenting yourself and your product.

To me the two best peices of advice are to educate your clients and to sell value and not price. If you get into a numbers game two things happen... your quality goes down (it has to) and you go out of business.

BTW, I've never had any sales training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.