Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am working on painting a Oak cabinet job this week and have done several before with great results. After cleaning with TSP and sanding I used aqua coat to grain fill and primed with shellac. However for the first time I had yellowing bleeding through the shellac primer to the point I had to spot prime most the doors with oil spray can. That took care of the yellowing and I moved on to spraying the top coat of Emerald Urethan. I just went through and added some more aqua coat to some grain that I missed or just needed more to make me happy, however all those spots are now bleeding yellow through the layers of paint. I am going to now spot prime the bad spots again before sanding and putting on final layer. Any idea what is causing this? This job is now taking much longer than I had planned. Here is a pic from after the first priming with the shellac

Attachments

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Okay I am working on painting a Oak cabinet job this week and have done several before with great results. After cleaning with TSP and sanding I used aqua coat to grain fill and primed with shellac. However for the first time I had yellowing bleeding through the shellac primer to the point I had to spot prime most the doors with oil spray can. That took care of the yellowing and I moved on to spraying the top coat of Emerald Urethan. I just went through and added some more aqua coat to some grain that I missed or just needed more to make me happy, however all those spots are now bleeding yellow through the layers of paint. I am going to now spot prime the bad spots again before sanding and putting on final layer. Any idea what is causing this? This job is now taking much longer than I had planned. Here is a pic from after the first priming with the shellac

Only used aquacoat once but I know you are supposed to seal with shellac first then use aquacoat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it to be greace that gets trapped in the grain then leaches out when primed. Cover stain or Kilz would do the trick.
That would make sense cuz it's only doing it on the front side of the cabinet

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts