Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a problem with picture framing occuring last week.only once has this happened to me.i rolled and cut twice 3 rooms and my cut ins from wall to ceiling are showing up.i did my roll and cut in same day and am looking for an opinion on best option to fix this since ive got paid already.

·
tsevnami
2,189 Posts
I have never had Aura picture frame on me. Cut around the edge starting in one corner, by the time i get back there the cut has dried and I can roll. Behr flat will picture frame no matter what you do it seems. What paint were you using? Any unusual circumstances?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used sw pro mar 200.homeowner didnt want to pay for prime coat.it was new drywall.ive done many houses where ho didnt want to pay for prime just 2 coats but never had a problem.2 coats roll and brush usually in my case never picture framed but this for some reason is

·
tsevnami
2,189 Posts
i used sw pro mar 200.homeowner didnt want to pay for prime coat.it was new drywall.ive done many houses where ho didnt want to pay for prime just 2 coats but never had a problem.2 coats roll and brush usually in my case never picture framed but this for some reason is
At least you answered the mystery there. First off, you are the professional. I would never agree to do this. The least I have done is one coat primer one coat paint. I wouldn't do this with 200 either as I am not wild about that stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
when cutting and rolling I always cut one wall and roll it before going to the next especially on finish coat. As far as using pm 200 I would never use it on unprimed drywall. It is a decent product but if your not priming I would insist on duration. It is self priming and I have never had a problem with it picture framing.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Some advice from a lowballer. i just did a house last week with promar 200 .

No primer, sprayed the walls, used a shield on the cieling (it was stomp), shielded the ceiling a second time. It was done, no picture framing. It was just done. Brushed the trim, since it was this type of a lowball job, it didn't call for sprayed trim.

If your gonna do it cheap, ya got to change the way ya do things,, okay???:thumbsup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah spraying would be nice if there wasnt furniture,hardwood floors,and people living inside.also if i were to spray with ho living in house it would be a no voc paint.as i said done ive done plenty of jobs like this but only second time its happened.this month ive done 11000 sq ft of work and no problems.sometimes crazy things happen and i am trying to find an easy solution to get this quickly fixed.pretty much a favor so i didnt charge much b/c she didnt want to fork out money.

·
Paint Store Owner
5,550 Posts
i had a problem with picture framing occuring last week.only once has this happened to me.i rolled and cut twice 3 rooms and my cut ins from wall to ceiling are showing up.i did my roll and cut in same day and am looking for an opinion on best option to fix this since ive got paid already.
Yes I understand this is not the right way to do things....but...and a big BUT...it does work most of the time in lower sheened paints. My best guess as to why its picture framing is the color.

·
Registered
971 Posts
yeah spraying would be nice if there wasnt furniture,hardwood floors,and people living inside.also if i were to spray with ho living in house it would be a no voc paint.as i said done ive done plenty of jobs like this but only second time its happened.this month ive done 11000 sq ft of work and no problems.sometimes crazy things happen and i am trying to find an easy solution to get this quickly fixed.pretty much a favor so i didnt charge much b/c she didnt want to fork out money.
Oh man,,, I know how this is gonna go, but when i have to do a job like that, I use valspar, cause the CHEAP piant blends WAY WAY better than the GOOD paint.

I asked a paint rep about that once, and he told me its cause the cheap paint has more clay in it. Don't know if thats why, but i know that it does.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
although i am going to hate this but im going to roll and cut in again hopefully this works or get primer tinted to colr and top coat over it.bleh ill just suck it up unless there is a special magician here that will save me time.

·
Registered
971 Posts
although i am going to hate this but im going to roll and cut in again hopefully this works or get primer tinted to colr and top coat over it.bleh ill just suck it up unless there is a special magician here that will save me time.
Just a thought,,, this time, cut in one wall at a time, as soon as you get done rolling, cut in while its still wet,,,, this even works for the GOOD paints.

I know this sounds like a smartass, but DON"T let it set,, cut it in RIGHT NOW

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
At least you answered the mystery there. First off, you are the professional. I would never agree to do this. The least I have done is one coat primer one coat paint. I wouldn't do this with 200 either as I am not wild about that stuff.

That would be debatable:whistling2:

·
Painting for dummies
93 Posts
Before you go re-rolling the whole thing, pick up a mini roller. Roll as tight as you can and feather it out. It's saved me one or two complete re-rolls before.

If you did it properly the first time, due to product failure, you might have gotten SW to cover the cost of the re-roll or at the very least the paint. Since you didn't, you're SOL on that route.

One thing I've found, the cheaper it is for the customer, the more expensive it is for me.

Would it really be cheaper to two coat in finish as opposed to one coat tinted primer and one coat finish? Last I checked, primer is less expensive that finish. Even a cheap primer is better than no primer.

I hope you can save it w/o a re-roll.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Using the mini-roller as close to the cut in line was my first thought as well

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you gentlemen for the help.yes miniroller was definetely on list.its just that the living room has so many windows with light just beaming in that shows the framing so bad.

·
6,326 Posts
Only thing we prime is something raw like drywall,wood,stucco or a dark color.Why would you need to prime walls that are already painted?? 2 coats of anything ought to cover. I'm just curious as to the reason for priming??

·
Painting for dummies
93 Posts
Only thing we prime is something raw like drywall,wood,stucco or a dark color.Why would you need to prime walls that are already painted?? 2 coats of anything ought to cover. I'm just curious as to the reason for priming??

Should have primed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts