Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 1000 feet of pine tounge & grove under a customers porches. They want it sealed with no or very little sheen to keep the natural look of the wood. My supplier recomended breakthrough clear, but I'm scared of the sheen. Any ideas on what I could use that would go on somewhat fast with little shine? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I recently used a toner from PPG, I believe it was a Sunproof product, that was clear and had very little sheen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks yall, I'm gonna do a sample with the breakthrough satin for the customer. I think they'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts

Nope, very bad idea. I thought that would work for porch ceilings and soffits at one time too. After all, it would get no sun or direct weather, why wouldn't it work?

We used it on a couple new houses about 12 years ago on just the soffits and porch ceilings. In both cases the coating eventually became impregnated with mildew. It's literally growing inside the film and cannot be removed short of stripping. I've fixed part of it on one house, still have more to do.

I started a thread about this a long time ago, I'll see if I can dig it up later. In any case, as awesome as Stays Clear is it doesn't cut the mustard outside even for a ceiling. At least in my climate.

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
Nope, very bad idea. I thought that would work for porch ceilings and soffits at one time too. After all, it would get no sun or direct weather, why wouldn't it work?

We used it on a couple new houses about 12 years ago on just the soffits and porch ceilings. In both cases the coating eventually became impregnated with mildew. It's literally growing inside the film and cannot be removed short of stripping. I've fixed part of it on one house, still have more to do.

I started a thread about this a long time ago, I'll see if I can dig it up later. In any case, as awesome as Stays Clear is it doesn't cut the mustard outside even for a ceiling. At least in my climate.
But it's only recommended for interior use? At least the product mentioned.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
I must have misunderstood where he was putting it, I thought somewhere completely out of the weather (both sun and moisture). At any rate, yah, I wouldn't put it anywhere it would get damp or direct exterior sunlight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts