Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)We have a standard post & rail fence. Each section is 4' tall x 6' long. There are 250 sections total. both sides. Thy need pressure washing and one coat of oil based semitransparent stain (TWP 101)

It looks just like this one:

2) How much is it to stain one section of solid privacy fence? 6' tall and regular fence boards. no pressure washing, they are new.

Thank you so much in advance. I don't do fences so I am totally lost on this one.

·
4,698 Posts
I don't do fences so I am totally lost on this one.
Doesn't matter what you do. If in the profession you should be able to come up with a bid on your own. I believe that if you thought hard and long, you would figure it out. Will you spray? roll? brush?

·
6,326 Posts
Break it down as:How long will it take us to do 1 section?/2 men 1 hour?/1 man 1 hour? Take that times 250. Add sqft. of surface to be completed divided by the least coverage of product . Add for moving your set up the length of the fence. Include overhead and profit (which should be figured in your hourly rate).Then Presto!!! You have your price. Be confident in your numbers. Trust your gut. If you feel like you are in over your head you probably are.

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
The painter that I first helped out told me how to estimate. He said figure out how much product, and then how long its going to take and double it. He said when you take a wheel barrow of dirt to the pile sometimes the wheels gonna break...

·
Flog a Mocker
1,493 Posts
when you take a wheel barrow of dirt to the pile sometimes the wheels gonna break...

The One Minute MBA! :thumbup:

I like to be just a bit more detailed in my numbers but with that statement I think even Sev would clearly understand that business is much more than an hourly wage and the cost of materials.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
You should still clean and prep new wood. A pressure washer is a lousy way to prep to wood. Use a cleaner, rinsed with 1000 psi or less, followed by a pH balancer (acid), 2 days of dry time and apply oil.

·
Flog a Mocker
1,493 Posts
1)We have a standard post & rail fence. Each section is 4' tall x 6' long. There are 250 sections total. both sides. Thy need pressure washing and one coat of oil based semitransparent stain (TWP 101)

2) How much is it to stain one section of solid privacy fence? 6' tall and regular fence boards. no pressure washing, they are new.

Thank you so much in advance. I don't do fences so I am totally lost on this one.
SM,

-Consider that you are spraying a 4x6 wall when calculating sf. When paint goes through gaps it doesn't mean its free.

-Also consider time for set up and moving for 3,000 lf of wall.

-When doing fences it is usually hard to get a very profitable fee compared to other items and most people will balk at the price. I would guess that your final charge would be between 15%-40% of the cost or replacement cost of the fence.

- Make sure there are no California Cows around there because you will have overspray

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
I'd say if you haven't done work similar to this, you might be asking for trouble. Either you or the owner might not be happy with how things turn out. Either one is bad. If you miss on the price and you find youre not making money, are you going to take the time and finish in a quality manner?
Or will you cut corners to make up for it and then not do the appropriate prep or finish it to where it looks good? Btw, oil stain on grass will kill grass. I'd hate to be told after I'm done that I gotta re sod the area before I get paid. Hope you understand what provisions must be made. If you don't, you might make more money elsewhere, a place where you do have experience.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Write something.. Thats why it's called a forum:whistling2:
I would probably get the thread locked if I did :whistling2: Not aimed at you, it was in response to what you said. It's getting a bit boring teaching people to paint and run a business and how to price, how to do this and that when this is supposed to be for 'professional' painters. I mean - A fence? How hard is it to price a fence?

·
Banned
81 Posts
I would probably get the thread locked if I did :whistling2: Not aimed at you, it was in response to what you said. It's getting a bit boring teaching people to paint and run a business and how to price, how to do this and that when this is supposed to be for 'professional' painters. I mean - A fence? How hard is it to price a fence?

got me on that one, been doing it forever, but I guess some people shoulden't be posting on here unless they can paint. I laugh at the people who claim there trade is carpentry, when they really don't know carpentry, and know only about trim carpentry. What a joke! But I'm just trying to help, I mean there aren't that many painting forums on the web you know. Cut them some slack.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
got me on that one, been doing it forever, but I guess some people shoulden't be posting on here unless they can paint. I laugh at the people who claim there trade is carpentry, when they really don't know carpentry, and know only about trim carpentry. What a joke! But I'm just trying to help, I mean there aren't that many painting forums on the web you know. Cut them some slack.:thumbsup:
I've always figured my trade was carpentry, but only trim carpentry...(and a little gc'ing) :jester:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts