·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LAST EXTERIOR JOB OF THE YEAR:
(one side of a one-story house only )

Painting Hardi Board siding x2 coats.
Super Paint exterior paint.

*It is 38° (4°)now, and should warm up above 40° (5°) throughout the day. No rain in the forecast.
The weather report says it is to be above freezing everyday until next week sometime, but is to dip below freezing every night from now on.

·
Super Moderator
9,467 Posts
Watch dew points as well. You need to watch those like a hawk in cold weather. If dew is going to be heavy (and it almost always is at those temps around here at least), you could have problems. Will the wall get a lot of sun to help it dry quickly? Darker colors are worse for surfactant leaching too in cold weather, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't Aura good down to 2degs C.?
I went ahead and painted it today (around mid-day).
It turned out to be Southern exposure, and the sun was out, so felt pretty good about it by the time I left. Even if it freezes tonight, I think it will be ok.

Is something we deal with every year, (did not want to get stuck waiting on this until next year as I already had the paint). Good to keep in mind the dew point, and risk of surfactant leaching.
Will offer a guarantee it if there are any problems.

Pics show how well it was drying:

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,123 Posts
Nice. Ya, I believe Super Paint is rated down to 35degs F. Which is quite impressive. Now if they could just make a decent low temp. latex caulking. Used 3 different kinds on my house last week and Half of it ran down the house.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need some Sikaflex 1A.
It looks like yesterday was the last possible day. It was nice all day.

It is 30 degrees (—1) today.
Surprise rain late last night ( not in forecast) then woke up to white frost on the ground.

I think it was pretty well dry by the time I left, and had a few more hours before nighttime. The customer is glad it’s done over the winter- it did not look good before. If I have to fix it next year, I will.

Agree about the caulk.

I tried a new caulk the other day. Shermax by SW. Does not solve the temperature problem, but seems like it will be really good for high-movement areas- up to 70% joint movement.
Elastomeric urethane, so downside is it takes a long time to cure. I tried the clear on a large 3/8” gap (interior) and it seems ideal- water cleanup, paintable, and easy to tool, but about 7 day cure time.

·
Banned
129 Posts
It looks like yesterday was the last possible day. It was nice all day.

It is 30 degrees (—1) today.
Surprise rain late last night ( not in forecast) then woke up to white frost on the ground.

I think it was pretty well dry by the time I left, and had a few more hours before nighttime. The customer is glad it’s done over the winter- it did not look good before. If I have to fix it next year, I will.

Agree about the caulk.

I tried a new caulk the other day. Shermax by SW. Does not solve the temperature problem, but seems like it will be really good for high-movement areas- up to 70% joint movement.
Elastomeric urethane, so downside is it takes a long time to cure. I tried the clear on a large 3/8” gap (interior) and it seems ideal- water cleanup, paintable, and easy to tool, but about 7 day cure time.
That's the thing....if you inform the customer who likes the job to be done ASAP... that there is a chance of 'complications' due to the weather conditions,...
and the customer takes the 'calculated' risk...it is easier to collect the cheque after the job is done, ...and I applaud and respect your commitment to take care of possible issues next year if there will be any issue with it.
Sign of integrity.
I do the same.
Screw the occasional loss ..or a low profit on the job.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the thing....if you inform the customer who likes the job to be done ASAP... that there is a chance of 'complications' due to the weather conditions,...
and the customer takes the 'calculated' risk...it is easier to collect the cheque after the job is done, ...and I applaud and respect your commitment to take care of possible issues next year if there will be any issue with it.
Sign of integrity.
I do the same.
Screw the occasional loss ..or a low profit on the job.
lexel can be used down to 0F. Great product.
what is the dry time before painting? (in cold weather?)

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,123 Posts
what is the dry time before painting? (in cold weather?)
I just looked at the pdf. Says 24-48hrs. Which is half the battle in cold weather. Also, working with solvent base caulking just straight up sucks. Its so messy.
Thank gawd we also got a couple warm days that my caulking finally dried on my house (was using Mono).All I could get my hands on short notice..
Now to get the scaffolding down before the snow comes today!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts