Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
NPC Solar Seal is a very good caulk, but unpleasant to work with. It'll do the cold temps, though. WD-40 will clean it up.

We deal with this every year...get it done or push it to spring? I used to advocate the get-it-done approach, but got tired of 3 or 4 hour work days, wearing gloves and a coat when it's snowing. Production hits almost rock bottom, so unless it's some sort of extraneous paint-emergency (which only exists in the minds of some home or business owners), I've personally just pushed them to spring.

You might lose some...oh, well. At least you aren't freezing to death on an aluminum ladder in someone's back yard.

·
Registered
591 Posts
In answer to the poll question: yep, we'd do it. one side of a one story with Hardi. I'd save that for a nice day, which is sure to come along, but I'd also advise the homeowner that we'd show up some random day at a random time and do it. Flexibility is the key for late season and off season exterior work.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
NPC Solar Seal is a very good caulk, but unpleasant to work with. It'll do the cold temps, though. WD-40 will clean it up.

We deal with this every year...get it done or push it to spring? I used to advocate the get-it-done approach, but got tired of 3 or 4 hour work days, wearing gloves and a coat when it's snowing. Production hits almost rock bottom, so unless it's some sort of extraneous paint-emergency (which only exists in the minds of some home or business owners), I've personally just pushed them to spring.

You might lose some...oh, well. At least you aren't freezing to death on an aluminum ladder in someone's back yard.
Happens every year... and what also happens is there is a ‘mass calling’ in spring by customers (who have been waiting 6-8 months) wondering why we aren’t showing up on the first nice day in early May, lol!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just did the front of one of my rentals today (very rare for painting this time of year around me). Used ultra spec exterior satin tinted to bm country redwood. Damn that’s a nice paint for the price. All covered existing in 1 coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
What sort of gutter system is that? It looks very unusual.
My guess would be that they’re designed to prevent ice dams, or they’re possibly designed to be mounted on the roof so that the weight of the ice dams won’t break them. I’ve never seen gutters like those either.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just did the front of one of my rentals today (very rare for painting this time of year around me). Used ultra spec exterior satin tinted to bm country redwood. Damn that’s a nice paint for the price. All covered existing in 1 coat

You keep your rental properties in good condition.
New windows, new doors, new painting, etc...

Looks like Asbestos siding. Hope you don't need to do major repairs there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Those are yankee gutters very common on old places in the city of buffalo. Some siding was asbestos but I replaced whatever was missing with grooved cedar shake. This property has 2 houses on it this being the rear house. So far we have sunk over 100k into the properties. The interior of this one is down to bare studs. So there goes another 70k. It will be worth it in the end. We have a reputation of having nice places so people are willing to pay for higher rents. Here’s what it looked like not too long ago

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Those are yankee gutters very common on old places in the city of buffalo. Some siding was asbestos but I replaced whatever was missing with grooved cedar shake. This property has 2 houses on it this being the rear house. So far we have sunk over 100k into the properties. The interior of this one is down to bare studs. So there goes another 70k. It will be worth it in the end. We have a reputation of having nice places so people are willing to pay for higher rents. Here’s what it looked like not too long ago

$$ - solid investment. The house turned out looking good!

Surprised you didn't stain or prime the cedar trim before it was installed.
I usually like to do that when possible..why not, right?

·
Registered
557 Posts
All the shakes were pre primed. I just used standard #2 5/4x6 pine on the window trim. Except for the drip cap that ponderosa pine but that’s really just getting into the weeds. It’s all solid wood and should last 15 years without needing much if any attention.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts