Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted a set of cornhole boards for a wedding. On them I put a vinyl decal. All guests signed it with paint pens. Now the wedding party would like it sealed and the signatures preserved. Am I going to run into issues spraying a couple coats of poly of them? On top of the vinyl decal? I painted the boards with Advance High gloss. I thought that was going to be the final coat. Should I wait till they are fully cured before poly them? Had some difficulties and the boards have 2 primer and 3 final. In case you are wondering the boards were super slick. It was a shame to put the decal on them.
Font Wood Rectangle Art Tree

Wood Rectangle Handwriting Font Tree

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Those are cool.

I'm mostly clueless about what would work. But I'd probably tell them to take them to an automotive body shop and ask about having them clear coated. Or source some "real" clear (not the crap from the big box auto parts stores) and spray with that - after testing. No idea if the decals are an issue.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Any good quality waterborne poly is fine. NOT the hybrid stuff. HAs to be 100% Acylic or it Will yellow. 24 hrs min. dry time is fine..
Only if they're stored indoors? These are outdoor "toys" and should be able to handle the sun and other aspects of weather. I guess you can just specify that they can't be left outside...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only if they're stored indoors? These are outdoor "toys" and should be able to handle the sun and other aspects of weather. I guess you can just specify that they can't be left outside...
They "should" only be stored indoors however it may not be a heated room. Does it make a difference? I can see them getting rained on or left out over night and dew on them. But as far as stored outside, no.

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,150 Posts
I wouldn’t over think it. They will likely use them a few times after the wedding but then they will put them away as keepsakes and that will be it. Not exactly the type of corn hole set you’d take tailgating, camping, or put out in the back yard for an entire summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts