Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 204 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Playing around with this photo today. It's amazing how long you could spend with a single photo just messing around with it.

The Original

After playing around

Came out kinda cool I guess...
Psychedelic man, love that blotter, doooood.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Playing around with this photo today. It's amazing how long you could spend with a single photo just messing around with it.

The Original

After playing around

Came out kinda cool I guess...
This is just for me since art is so subjective. I am not into completely overdone processing. I've seen too many fauxtographers take bad photos (missed focus, bad composition, etc) and just start adding filters with no rhyme or reason and make a bad photo ridiculous. Processing should enhance something you are trying to tell or perhaps change a mood (as in cinema color grading). So all said and done, I would take the original photo because it had great exposure and it tells its own story.

Reactions: Rbriggs82

·
Super Moderator
6,801 Posts
This is just for me since art is so subjective. I am not into completely overdone processing. I've seen too many fauxtographers take bad photos (missed focus, bad composition, etc) and just start adding filters with no rhyme or reason and make a bad photo ridiculous. Processing should enhance something you are trying to tell or perhaps change a mood (as in cinema color grading). So all said and done, I would take the original photo because it had great exposure and it tells its own story.
I agree I'm not really a fan of it either. My goal here was to try and learn what can be done with photo editing and really explore some different options such as filters and hue. Normally I just brighten a photo, sharpen it and done. This time I purposely set out to make it look like a tree fort in an enchanted forest (which is what I thought of when I took the pic) and I think I accomplished that.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
I agree I'm not really a fan of it either. My goal here was to try and learn what can be done with photo editing and really explore some different options such as filters and hue. Normally I just brighten a photo, sharpen it and done. This time I purposely set out to make it look like a tree fort in an enchanted forest (which is what I thought of when I took the pic) and I think I accomplished that.
It's through exploring that we discover magic. Just keep on shooting and exploring because that is where we all learn. :)

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
As a painter, I think these photo exercises are really helpful as an introduction into design and concept. I actually sense that I've been so overexposed to painting as a utility, that I've neglected the design aspect of it.

It's like I really want to capture the intent of something in a photo, and try to display it without using much description. Its's a huge challenge, and I now realize why people spend so much for cameras and accessories.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
As a painter, I think these photo exercises are really helpful as an introduction into design and concept. I actually sense that I've been so overexposed to painting as a utility, that I've neglected the design aspect of it.

It's like I really want to capture the intent of something in a photo, and try to display it without using much description. Its's a huge challenge, and I now realize why people spend so much for cameras and accessories.
Additionally, the more you practice photography, the better your before and after shots will get for your paint portfolio.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Additionally, the more you practice photography, the better your before and after shots will get for your paint portfolio.
Good point.

Unlike some jobs that don't have the need to take photographs, painting definitely does. If not just for the portfolio, it certainly has a place for record keeping.

What a great opportunity to experiment with some shots I'll be taking. I just hope it won't be too awkward when my partner sees me all contorted trying to capture the best shot of a flight pump.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'll give it a go

Well I have this pic from my rooftop from a summer ago. taken with an old samsung galaxy and no editing or effects. I just think it was a good looking shot color wise and the tree is a big old fir tree in my neighbors yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
well, honestly it looks like crap compared to a daylight photo and other people's pics, maybe later I'll dig up some nice bright flowers I've captured in clients gardens.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Wow. Phone camera sensors can definitely hold their own. That's a good amount of dynamic range for a small sensor.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Brought my camera with me to the shop today hoping to get out and get something concrete that is interesting. Looks like I won't make it out before sundown but Ole (and Philly people) will appreciate lunch break. #WaWa4Life.

50mm, f1.8, 1/45, ISO1600

Attachments

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
And then there are the ones that got away.

Coming back from an estimate this AM, with my mind thinking concrete, I see the Mass Mutual building right off the highway in Canton. Musta passed it a million times, but today my eye saw the long low structure with "louvered" dividers between the windows and the sun at a great angle.

Even if I had my good camera, I warn't about to stop on 128 and search out a good shot.

·
Super Moderator
6,801 Posts
Brought my camera with me to the shop today hoping to get out and get something concrete that is interesting. Looks like I won't make it out before sundown but Ole (and Philly people) will appreciate lunch break. #WaWa4Life.

50mm, f1.8, 1/45, ISO1600
So jealous right now. :yes: #wawaimissyou

41 - 60 of 204 Posts