Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a while since a used a sander to prep surfaces due to all the dust that would fly around. So now I’m looking at the Festool sanders. What sander is best for prepping painted and old varnished brown doors that will be painted white, a random orbital sander, an orbital sander or a rectangular sander ?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
It’s been a while since a used a sander to prep surfaces due to all the dust that would fly around. So now I’m looking at the Festool sanders. What sander is best for prepping painted and old varnished brown doors that will be painted white, a random orbital sander, an orbital sander or a rectangular sander ?
Thanks
For that I'd use my DTS 400 and possibly a ets 125 because it's a little faster.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The RTS 400, rectangle is by far our most used sander, You can get these "interface pads" they come in a two pack, stack on or two between your sandpaper and sander for more contours.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The RTS 400, rectangle is by far our most used sander, You can get these "interface pads" they come in a two pack, stack on or two between your sandpaper and sander for more contours.
I had a Festool RTS400 and returned it. I found that it burned through the BIN primer or topcoat too aggressively (even using 320 grit), especially around the panels and corners. It's also a bit too high.

I plan on buying a SurfPrep 3"x4" sander for cabinets. They sell the padded sanding pads and it is low profile with better balancing. It has gotten rave reviews in the FB finishing Groups.

https://surfprepsanding.com/product/3x4-electric-ray-sanders/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,230 Posts
why do these things gotta be so darn expensive.? $500 just for the sander. Does that include the vaccuum hookup? I still use my 5" Dewalt with a bag attachment. Sometimes I'll hook my shop vac to it..Could see it being handy in a clients house..

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
why do these things gotta be so darn expensive.? $500 just for the sander. Does that include the vaccuum hookup? I still use my 5" Dewalt with a bag attachment. Sometimes I'll hook my shop vac to it..Could see it being handy in a clients house..
If I were in an area with texture, where I assume you rarely sand drywall patches, I probably wouldn't own a festool setup. That said, it's the bees knees for sanding smooth drywall. I can sand mud with my ets 125 directly over my face and not have a speck of dust on me.

Plus it's a big selling point for new clients who've previously experienced the amount of dust sanding mud can generate. I sell it and point them to a video on my website demonstrating it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yeah I use 320 when sanding Bin any lower and you're eating through it.

I meant to say 320. I still burn through it. A lot of those paneled cabinet doors are not exactly perfectly flat in some areas. Time and time again I'm forced to seal the bare wood after sanding with a rattle can of BIN and then hand sand very delicately.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
I meant to say 320. I still burn through it. A lot of those paneled cabinet doors are not exactly perfectly flat in some areas. Time and time again I'm forced to seal the bare wood after sanding with a rattle can of BIN and then hand sand very delicately.
I had the same problem so now I don't sand the bin, I'll wait until I put a coat of Breakthrough on then sand. Breakthrough sands to powder just like the bin buy doesn't burn through as easy.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
So a random orbital sander and/or a rectangular sander are ok for surface prep then ?
Yeah they're both good for surface prep. I tend to use the random orbital (ets 125) more for drywall work and the DTS 400 for trim type work. The DTS and RTS are exactly the same only the RTS is rectangular and the DTS is a delta shape.

·
Administrator
21,541 Posts
I bought the Festool midi and a DTS400EQ triangular head sander primarily for doing window sills. I love that entire setup. Since I only do interior work, it has proved to be an amazingly versatile little beastie. Never felt the need to get any other attachments, but if I did I would consider them an investment well made.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I had a Festool RTS400 and returned it. I found that it burned through the BIN primer or topcoat too aggressively (even using 320 grit), especially around the panels and corners. It's also a bit too high.

I plan on buying a SurfPrep 3"x4" sander for cabinets. They sell the padded sanding pads and it is low profile with better balancing. It has gotten rave reviews in the FB finishing Groups.

https://surfprepsanding.com/product/3x4-electric-ray-sanders/

I have the surfprep too!! I use it mainly for cabinets, front doors with small panels. The 3x4 takes longer to sand with vs the 4x6 festool, especially on flat surfaces. I feel the surfprep pads are not as good at smoothing out waterbase finishes as the festool sandpaper is. The pads are great for clears, primers like BIN, and lacquer.
On the BIN, you have to remember it is extremely thin and just hand pad sanding will burn the edges, so its really not the sander or the paper.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

The surfprep is $500, the Festool RTS is like $250ish? The difference is total quality of the machine and there is no comparison when you put the sander on a surface. Most cheap RO sanders will leave swirl mark that are hard to sand out, not so with these sanders. IMO the HEPA sanders are so much better than just a regular shop vac. All waste goes into a bag instead of the shop vac, that needs to be cleaned out. For me I made the jump and have never questioned cost.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It seems like most painters I’ve met barely touch their sanders. It’s unfortunate because sanding makes a huge difference in the finish quality of your work.

After investing in Festool sanders I don’t spending a little extra time sanding. For me the smoother finish is worth it. Plus, the experience of using Festool sander is so much better. The ergonomics are better and I can sand for several hours without getting a numb tingling sensation in my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,230 Posts
It seems like most painters I’ve met barely touch their sanders. It’s unfortunate because sanding makes a huge difference in the finish quality of your work.

After investing in Festool sanders I don’t spending a little extra time sanding. For me the smoother finish is worth it. Plus, the experience of using Festool sander is so much better. The ergonomics are better and I can sand for several hours without getting a numb tingling sensation in my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are you normally sanding for several hours?

·
Administrator
21,541 Posts
What are you normally sanding for several hours?
Though I haven’t taken on the bigger jobs for awhile now, it wasn’t uncommon to have it take that long (or much longer) in a bigger home where we needed to sand most of the bottom and sides of the stained window casings where fading had occurred and the clear coat had broken down. If any door or cabinet refinishing was also needed then you could easily eclipse that.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
We would always DA our wood trim packs on new homes...that would take several hours.

I was always satisfied with with Porter Cable right angle RO sanders. Had about 10 of them....no way was I spending $500 for sanders for guys to take out of shop. The PC were about $150, did a good job, and lasted forever.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts