Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
I JUST got my festool sander & dust extractor before the 10% deal ended in 2019 (ordered on 12/31 haha). Spent like 4 months obsessively researching & trying out the various options at my local dealer.

For doors I’d highly recommend you check out the rotex 90. It’s got gear driven mode + random orbital + the optional triangle vibration attachment (that’ll help get into all those raised panel nooks n crannies).

I joined the festool owners group forum before purchasing & asked every single questions I could think of..they’re all really helpful & happy to give advice based on your use n desires.

There’s A LOT of members who LOVE their RO90 despite the size & say it comes in handy way more often than a lot of their other ones.

Ended up going with Rotex 125 + Midi extractor although a lot of ppl recommend the ets-ec 125, I knew the gear drive mode would come in handy sooner rather than later. Plan on getting the ets as soon as I’m able though as its a fabulous finish sander & the balance is amazing. Also love that u can add the 150 pad to it (the 150 doesn’t accept 125) so I can cover more area when needed.

Have been happy with the RO125 although I do wish I coulda gone with the 150 since I loved how powerful the motor was but it was just too big for my female hands to comfortably use for extended periods of time.

Only other CON has been that although I got the 5” 125- I can’t use my paper stock cuz festool hole patterns don’t line up. I’ve had to start a new collection but the garnat paper HAS been super impressive & lasts way longer than my others.

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
I had a Festool RTS400 and returned it. I found that it burned through the BIN primer or topcoat too aggressively (even using 320 grit), especially around the panels and corners. It's also a bit too high.

I plan on buying a SurfPrep 3"x4" sander for cabinets. They sell the padded sanding pads and it is low profile with better balancing. It has gotten rave reviews in the FB finishing Groups.

https://surfprepsanding.com/product/3x4-electric-ray-sanders/

I want a surfprep SO bad...just haven’t been able to justify it yet but its a brilliant concept. Keep meaning to see if there’s a way to add foam backed padding to a regular sheet sander or my rotex since that’s really the true genius of it all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello in there, this is my first post and yes, I’m greener than grass, but this is just the thread I’m looking for.
I originally wanted to talk paint which I can get to that later.
Anyway, here’s what I’m up against. I’m sanding the interior of my log home about 2500 linear feet of untreated spruce.
I’m about 500 linear feet deep and already cooked a Black and Decker orbital sander and just bought a Bosch as a replacement using 40 grit with vacuum attachment.
Yes, it’s a tedious time consuming venture but I have lots of time.
You guys mentioned a few sanders I’ve never heard of, but considering the application what would be the best sander for this job as I’m sure the Bosch won’t last much longer.
Thanks,
Joh

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I JUST got my festool sander & dust extractor before the 10% deal ended in 2019 (ordered on 12/31 haha). Spent like 4 months obsessively researching & trying out the various options at my local dealer.

For doors I’d highly recommend you check out the rotex 90. It’s got gear driven mode + random orbital + the optional triangle vibration attachment (that’ll help get into all those raised panel nooks n crannies).

I joined the festool owners group forum before purchasing & asked every single questions I could think of..they’re all really helpful & happy to give advice based on your use n desires.

There’s A LOT of members who LOVE their RO90 despite the size & say it comes in handy way more often than a lot of their other ones.

Ended up going with Rotex 125 + Midi extractor although a lot of ppl recommend the ets-ec 125, I knew the gear drive mode would come in handy sooner rather than later. Plan on getting the ets as soon as I’m able though as its a fabulous finish sander & the balance is amazing. Also love that u can add the 150 pad to it (the 150 doesn’t accept 125) so I can cover more area when needed.

Have been happy with the RO125 although I do wish I coulda gone with the 150 since I loved how powerful the motor was but it was just too big for my female hands to comfortably use for extended periods of time.

Only other CON has been that although I got the 5” 125- I can’t use my paper stock cuz festool hole patterns don’t line up. I’ve had to start a new collection but the garnat paper HAS been super impressive & lasts way longer than my others.

Wow, you got the RO125 for your first sander!! I have one and its a beast, we mainly use for fascia boards. Let me know if you have any interest in the DTS, delta head sander. I thought I would use it way more, but I love the RTS so much. I have one practically brand new.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Hello in there, this is my first post and yes, I’m greener than grass, but this is just the thread I’m looking for.
I originally wanted to talk paint which I can get to that later.
Anyway, here’s what I’m up against. I’m sanding the interior of my log home about 2500 linear feet of untreated spruce.
I’m about 500 linear feet deep and already cooked a Black and Decker orbital sander and just bought a Bosch as a replacement using 40 grit with vacuum attachment.
Yes, it’s a tedious time consuming venture but I have lots of time.
You guys mentioned a few sanders I’ve never heard of, but considering the application what would be the best sander for this job as I’m sure the Bosch won’t last much longer.
Thanks,
Joh

For 40grit or higher, RO125 for sure. You could add a backup pad for better contouring. But you are looking at a $400 sander plus paper

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
I want a surfprep SO bad...just haven’t been able to justify it yet but its a brilliant concept. Keep meaning to see if there’s a way to add foam backed padding to a regular sheet sander or my rotex since that’s really the true genius of it all.
Buy an interface pad and you'll be surf prepping with a festool.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
Wow, you got the RO125 for your first sander!! I have one and its a beast, we mainly use for fascia boards. Let me know if you have any interest in the DTS, delta head sander. I thought I would use it way more, but I love the RTS so much. I have one practically brand new.

Ohhhh why u gotta tempt a girl?!

Everyone warned me....Don’t stress too much, they said, ....you’ll be back to buy another sander soon. - I thought: Nooo way! @ this price its gunna be a 1 & done, even if it pays for itself I can’t justify that kinda money for prep tools....

Fast forward 1 week later & I’d sanded 23 primed MDF panels...never had to strap up a fine filter mask, shop is just as clean as when I started, paper thats barely worn, no hand fatigue or tingling even after extended use, & MOST important....a finish thats A+ perfect!

I’m head over heels...Have already been creepin listings for lightly used ets ec.

It is a beast for sure but I love it oh so much! My variable speed makita (which I thought was pricey @ the time ) always seemed to take 4ever w/ fine grit & was never quite good enough so I’d end up hand sandin the final stage.

Festool is magic fairy dust I tell ya...its impossible to describe until you own one & then its like “how the in H*ll did I live without this for so long?!”

Now I’m off to research the DTS delta

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

Everyone warned me....Don’t stress too much, they said, ....you’ll be back to buy another sander soon. - I thought: Nooo way! @ this price its gunna be a 1 & done, even if it pays for itself I can’t justify that kinda money for prep tools....

Fast forward 1 week later & I’d sanded 23 primed MDF panels...never had to strap up a fine filter mask, shop is just as clean as when I started, paper thats barely worn, no hand fatigue or tingling even after extended use, & MOST important....a finish thats A+ perfect!

I’m head over heels...Have already been creepin listings for lightly used ets ec.

It is a beast for sure but I love it oh so much! My variable speed makita (which I thought was pricey @ the time ) always seemed to take 4ever w/ fine grit & was never quite good enough so I’d end up hand sandin the final stage.

Festool is magic fairy dust I tell ya...its impossible to describe until you own one & then its like “how the in H*ll did I live without this for so long?!”

Yeah, it is kind of like a drug. I own six, and I keep on trying to find an excuse to get theLS 130..the one the shapes to uneven surfaces like crown moldings.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,545 Posts
When I first bought my Festool I figured that when I eventually retired I would sell it as part of scaling back. Nope - I will never sell it. My wife may get rid of it after I’m dead and gone - but I won’t.

Reactions: PPD

·
Administrator
21,545 Posts
If you were able to get rid of it after you're dead and gone..... I'd be impressed.
Well, I do like it - but not enough to come back for it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

This is pretty much what I tell everyone that’s thinking about buying Festool sanders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,545 Posts
If you were able to get rid of it after you're dead and gone..... I'd be impressed.

My view is that Festool has taken an odious task and made it almost enjoyable.

Reactions: PPD

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
Well, I do like it - but not enough to come back for it.
I guess you won't know until the time comes....don't count it out. I'd happily haunt my rotex.

Reactions: RH

·
Registered
71 Posts
Find your the Festool dealer in your area and ask for a demo. (I am a retailer in Eugene, OR) They should bring a few of the options with a dust extractor and let you use them for an afternoon. Festool is an investment, so take the time and get what works best for you. Also, they have a 30 day NO QUESTIONS return policy. One of their most versatile sanders is the RO 90 - a dual mode sander that allows you to switch from a round 3" head to a triangular head. I have started many customers out with it as their first!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just want to say...thanks for this thread...surprisingly hard to find these type of recommendations on the web. Most seem to thing of vac systems as the non-portable kind...painters gotta keep moving :)

21 - 40 of 60 Posts