Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,388 Posts
The answer is that I have used all the chemicals out there for different jobs. The best place to start is going to a commercial vendor and using the chemicals they offer, and experiment alot for what works for you. Do lots of research on the internet. I have formulated many of my own chems, and no I am not sharing unless I know you really well. The real trick is to totally abandon the brands offered at paint stores and hardware stores and start getting in with real vendors. Real pressure washing is it's own enterprise - and I have had to practically abandon painting as a whole in order to stay on top of it. Pressure washing is a much more time consuming enterprise than painting when it comes to marketing, sales, and estimation. You have to constantly be on the road to do estimates. Painting contractors that I know have survived only giving 20 exterior estimates during a whole season.
It's hard to being involved on labor intensive exterior painting jobs - and then driving everywhere giving washing estimates. And sales is key.

· "Member"
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The answer is that I have used all the chemicals out there for different jobs. The best place to start is going to a commercial vendor and using the chemicals they offer, and experiment alot for what works for you. Do lots of research on the internet. I have formulated many of my own chems, and no I am not sharing unless I know you really well. The real trick is to totally abandon the brands offered at paint stores and hardware stores and start getting in with real vendors. Real pressure washing is it's own enterprise - and I have had to practically abandon painting as a whole in order to stay on top of it. Pressure washing is a much more time consuming enterprise than painting when it comes to marketing, sales, and estimation. You have to constantly be on the road to do estimates. Painting contractors that I know have survived only giving 20 exterior estimates during a whole season.
It's hard to being involved on labor intensive exterior painting jobs - and then driving everywhere giving washing estimates. And sales is key.

Uh...thanks. I wasn't looking for help starting a pressure washing business. If your "special recipie" is a national secret then don't bother answering the thread. :thumbsup:

· Banned
3,745 Posts
I know it's a really old thread. I get that. It's a timeless topic and a great question that didn't get any answers. It's power washing season. I've been power washing to "prep for paint" for 20 some years but I don't know for sure what solutions to use on different substrates to clean them if I'm not going to paint them. I have now access to tons of experience from pros specializing in the trade. I'm hoping some will be generous with their knowledge and let me tap into it. Most specifically what are the pros using to brighten up cedar shake roof shingles that have greyed? Thank you for your time.

· "Member"
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NEPS.US said:
Uh...thanks. I wasn't looking for help starting a pressure washing business. If your "special recipie" is a national secret then don't bother answering the thread. :thumbsup:
My reply to Dan really sucked. I wonder if I read his whole response. He offered some good advice. Thanks Dan-O!

· Banned
1,751 Posts
Im going to make a constructive post on this topic..just a straight answer. I still like my Jomax and bleach..mixed right this stuff fries mold/mildew. Gives a good surface for prep..

If im not worried about plants, i will actually use pool shock instead of bleach.

After recently moving and taking a job to get my feet on the ground and learn the area..i am surprised at how many companies will just wash..no cleaners at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.