Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Grants Painting
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody worked with this in a brush and roll environment?

Is it too thick for a 490 to shoot it with very little reduction or extender?

What would you thin it to on a HVLP pressure pot rig?

Has anybody used it on a non-hot tire concrete surface?

I really need to demo it

·
Painting Contractor
4,075 Posts
Dd you try the search function? There's a lot of good info in here. Yes a 490 would push it fine without thinning. Paintcore recently posted a pic thinning hvlp at 4 oz to a quart of material. Custom brush uses it a lot. I've only used it a couple times. Would like to use more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a PPG store manager and I have had a lot of experience with Breakthrough. It is a little on the thin side so only brush and roll if you are quick because it tacks up super fast. A 490 or HVLP should push it with little or no reduction. We used it on a commercial floor and they had pallet jacks and forklifts over it after 24 hours of cure and it was flawless. Great Stuff if used in the right senario.

·
Grants Painting
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a PPG store manager and I have had a lot of experience with Breakthrough. It is a little on the thin side so only brush and roll if you are quick because it tacks up super fast. A 490 or HVLP should push it with little or no reduction. We used it on a commercial floor and they had pallet jacks and forklifts over it after 24 hours of cure and it was flawless. Great Stuff if used in the right senario.
I cant wait to use it. Id like to see if I could roll it out on front doors that are out of the sun.

I see that 4-603 is spec'd out for a possible primer on concrete. It also says that it is self priming to concrete. When would I want to use the 4-603?

·
Grants Painting
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It also says use Seal Grip on bare wood but then Tech says its self priming.
I always trust the paperwork on it. I guess it depends on what tech. There is a guy I met at a PPG event that does product testing. Id trust what he tells me.
But with any topcoat that is that expensive Id want to use a primer on just about anything but metal... LOL I dont want to see that product soak into wood!

·
Painting Contractor
4,075 Posts
Brushed out some breakthrough at my sisters house today, helped her clean up some woodwork. I hadn't brushed it before and was amazed at how nice it looked right out of the bucket brushed out on old door casings. I layed it on kind of heavy with my 2.5" oval Picasso, JP style! It flowed out really nice, and when it was dry, which didn't take long, it looked like fully cured satin impervo, that nice low luster look. I was pretty darn impressed.
The jambs were all dinged up, chipped etc, we just wiped them down with krud kutter gloss off, and went right over it with the breakthrough, over the bare wood spots and all. Looked great. I nice off white covered well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.