Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Are you using a custom mixed black or the factory tinted wrought iron black?

·
Painting Contractor
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their pre-mixed black.
Brush and roll, it's a 7-8 year old high end condo building.
Occupied with existing wallpaper that stays.

We tested it on door frames and the elevator frames (some sleek & tough enamel).
Not an official adhession test but a finger nail scratch test (female fingernails).

Can't upload the video but a short sample on our facebook here

It also seems very workable with good open time.

·
Painting Contractor
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as every one knows we love breakthrough

Occupied office hollow metal frames , warehouse doors, cabinets, furniture, signs, even speed bumps in the parking lot
I read and watched quite a bit of your experience with it actually. This is a building we don't want any coating faillure in.

·
Super Moderator
9,467 Posts
I thought most guys were spraying it. If brushing is great as well, we will need to experiment more with it.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have only used it once on some exterior doors. It looked great on 2 of the doors and so, so on the 3rd. I brushed. One issue that I did have is that I used Bin to spot prime a couple of areas, and when I applied the Breaktrough I got a crackle effect. Anyody else have this issue. I was painting a dark maroon color.

·
Super Moderator
6,858 Posts
What kind of prep? Primer or straight breakthrough?
Straight breakthrough. An hour after painting the first coat I dug my nails in as hard as I could and tried scratching it off, didn't even make a mark. Pretty amazing stuff.

Awesome finish too..

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
I have only used it once on some exterior doors. It looked great on 2 of the doors and so, so on the 3rd. I brushed. One issue that I did have is that I used Bin to spot prime a couple of areas, and when I applied the Breaktrough I got a crackle effect. Anyody else have this issue. I was painting a dark maroon color.

Pete

Yes I used BM 046 primer under the black finish and got crackle. I was told the gennex colorants might be too soft. I haven't had any crackle using BIN ADVANCED , smart prime or Ppg seal grip under it.
We have done some brush and roll with it. Mostly spray though. I should probably try to brush it more to get more confidence in that approach. We didn't have good luck with really short nap mohair covers as it dried so fast and left a rough texture from the popped air bubbles. Had better luck back brushing really quickly. Definitely not the workability of advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,467 Posts
Does it spray more like paint or a wb lacquer?

I am suprised it can be used on cabinets without priming to stop tannin bleed.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts

More like paint to me.
I think if the existing cabinet finish is in pretty good shape, it will do the job of stain blocking.

This last set I did was the first time I had used it on a whole set without priming, didn't have any bleed problems.

·
Super Moderator
6,858 Posts

Definitely like paint. I had a little problem with some tannin bleed where the boxes jointed and I sanded down a little too far. Saw it after the first coat and hit those spots with some spray coverstain and it was good to go.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Would anyone know if the breakthrough we get in Canada is different than the one in the US? Although I really like this product, I can't say it's been perfectly resistant to scratch test I did. I used it on some metallic stair cases that had been preprimed with red oxyde primer in the shop. It does a good job, but I'm not 100% confident in it yet for the long term. It's rated to be applied on factory concrete floors on which lifts circulate. I've used it on small elevator doors, it was hard to make a nice finish because of the open time and all that brushing involved. Still not 100% satisfied by the adhesion I've had with the product. I did good prep too making sure my metal was degreased first then washed with acetone.

I have a feeling that what we get here isn't as performant as what you guys get, although it's still a good product.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
There are at least two different versions of Breakthrough. A low VOC version (less than 50 I think) and the regular version (around 250)
I think most of us are using the 250.

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts

RPF says they prime for bleed when using white base colors but not when using darker colors so I've followed that protocol.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts