Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My client loves the Dark Oak exterior oil stain in PPG ProLuxe SRD RE and I can't get the non RE. I would have to travel out of state. I was told, on this forum, the RE version is crap. I have never used it. What can the homeowner expect if she insists on me using it? Will it not last as long? Will it require more time for me to apply? Will it fade quicker? Not seal the wood? This is for a house in NY. Full winters. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
My client loves the Dark Oak exterior oil stain in PPG ProLuxe SRD RE and I can't get the non RE. I would have to travel out of state. I was told, on this forum, the RE version is crap. I have never used it. What can the homeowner expect if she insists on me using it? Will it not last as long? Will it require more time for me to apply? Will it fade quicker? Not seal the wood? This is for a house in NY. Full winters. Thanks in advance.
If its anything like what they did with 123 RE and every other 'reduced emissions' product then yes, reduced penetration, not as workable, doesn't last as long, etc.

Case in point: Old sikkens Bomb proof product. Says right on the can "Will cause cancer" so that's how you knew it was awesome.
New sikkens: higher solids, doesn't brush, peels, "may cause cancer". meh, i've moved onto other products that don't have multiple 10% price increases every year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts