Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello painttalk community
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a painting contractor and i just came up on 3 houses that the owners want to paint the stucco. As I'm walking the houses i notice it's pre colored stucco or pre mix colored stucco. The stucco is kinda of old 15 years. It's dry... And faded.
Definitely needs paint.

So my question is.
Has anyone just paint right over this type of stucco? Meaning no primer.
I want to use Duration low luster.
So.
Presure wash.
Cracks caulked.
For paint: spray, back roll then lastly a quick spray again.
I'm trying to give them a good price.
But one coat of primer and two coats of paint is really adding up.
Anyone here just paint right over color stucco no primer?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Hello painttalk community
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a painting contractor and i just came up on 3 houses that the owners want to paint the stucco. As I'm walking the houses i notice it's pre colored stucco or pre mix colored stucco. The stucco is kinda of old 15 years. It's dry... And faded.
Definitely needs paint.

So my question is.
Has anyone just paint right over this type of stucco? Meaning no primer.
I want to use Duration low luster.
So.
Presure wash.
Cracks caulked.
For paint: spray, back roll then lastly a quick spray again.
I'm trying to give them a good price.
But one coat of primer and two coats of paint is really adding up.
Anyone here just paint right over color stucco no primer?
Thanks.
I've used arborcoat solid over stucco plenty of times no problem

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Always back roll stucco, gives a much better job. No need to prime it. If you caulk the cracks feather out the caulk with a wet brush to minimize the lines. Minor and hairline cracks I never caulk as paint fills them which is why you back roll it.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,236 Posts
When I painted stucco back in BC, we would just pre-wet the house to promote absorption. Spray 2 coats 100% Acrylic. We would also thin the first coat 10-15%. Backrolling is not necessary imo. Although it would't hurt atleast on the first coat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used arborcoat solid over stucco plenty of times no problem
Giving a good price means you dont stay in business long,use premium paint,do real good prep,be clean,be quik as you can,but charge for it,dont sell yourself short,thats the whole problem in this industry,too many lowballers out there brings everybody down.
Yeah I get what your saying, trust me we do hight quality work. Our rate is 52 per hour. From there i still add profit. So we are not cheap when it comes to our area. I hate seeing painters without a license low-balling left and right. Was just curious how to handle this 3 houses right next to each other.thats all.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,236 Posts
Giving a good price means you dont stay in business long,use premium paint,do real good prep,be clean,be quik as you can,but charge for it,dont sell yourself short,thats the whole problem in this industry,too many lowballers out there brings everybody down.
A good price can also just mean an honest price. Why do you assume he's low-balling? There's alot of rip-off artists out there too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I/m sorry, I agree with most of what you said, but "giving a good price means you don't stay in business long" is simply not true. I probe the market for the best price I can get for my detail-oriented work. I don't earn money if I'm not working. So if my estimates are not getting accepted, I lower my daily rate. Customers react to market forces, and if you don't also, you will be out of sync. I probe the market by raising my rate until the market pushes back, then I lower it a small amount to keep high positive outcomes form estimates. It has worked great during economic boons and recessions alike, and gives you the highest rate you can get for your work, and keeps you earning it when others have no work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts