Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've gone through the forum and tried to find previous posts on this but I end up lost in the BIN vs Gardz vs other discussions. My partner and I are moving into our first home in a weeks time and I'm trying to work out which primer to use on all of the exterior facing, interior walls. It's a 1930's pebbledashed, single brick home that belonged to an elderly man who we suspect didn't ventilate the property particularly well as all of the exterior walls show signs of mould. The walls are all plastered and are currently covered in a lovely mix of woodchip wallpaper, wood panelling (dread.) or paint.

Initially, having read the posts on here, I thought gardz and then emulsion would be the answer. However I've seen from other forums that Gardz will create an impermeable barrier which will likely mean there will be condensation forming behind the Gardz and that what I want is something that will allow moisture to pass through it. I've since found this from Zinsser:

So they recommend BIN - is that moisture permeable? I also saw mention of Benjamin Moore Ecospec primer or Dulux Alkali Resistent Primer.
Could one of you guys please shed some light on this for me? I was going to strip, sand, bleach, soap scrub the walls then apply the primer and then 2 coat emulsion over the top.

As I said, I did go through about 2 years of discussions, tried endless search terms so I'm sorry if this has come up before but where do people stand on this lot:

Dulux Trade Alkali-resisting Primer
Zinsser B-I-N
Benjamin Moore Fresh Start High-Hiding or similar?

Anyone used this stuff?
I realise the paint is 3 times the price but the endless depths of the internet keeps complicating things!

Thanks so much for any advice!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Welcome to PT!

After stripping (assuming you are referring to stripping wallpaper?) it is important to seal any "adhesive residue" left on the walls. Wallpaper residue will cause any subsequent layers to fail, so it is important to "seal it" before going any further.

I'm not sure how "permeable" it is, but you need to seal wallpaper residue, and Gardz is the best choice for that.

You may consider applying a mold-inhibiting primer like Zinser Mold Killing Primer.
Latex and Acrylics in general are somewhat resistant to mold and mildew.
BIN is typically used as a spot primer, and for water stains, and would not be an ideal choice for priming a whole wall or room.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to PT!

After stripping (assuming you are referring to stripping wallpaper?) it is important to seal any "adhesive residue" left on the walls. Wallpaper residue will cause any subsequent layers to fail, so it is important to "seal it" before going any further.

I'm not sure how "permeable" it is, but you need to seal wallpaper residue, and Gardz is the best choice for that.

You may consider applying a mold-inhibiting primer like Zinser Mold Killing Primer.
Latex and Acrylics in general are somewhat resistant to mold and mildew.
BIN is typically used as a spot primer, and for water stains, and would not be an ideal choice for priming a whole wall or room.
Thank you Holland! That's really cleared a lot up! Yes it's mostly wallpaper, I'll be steaming and scraping it all off to remove as much residue as possible but do I assume there will always be invisible layers of residue and therefore I need to seal every wall that used to have wallpaper on it with Gardz?

Having sealed it, I would then need to prime it. Anywhere that used to have mould I should use Zinser Mold Killing Primer and then paint over it as normal. On all of the interior facing walls I can just use the bog standard stuff (except in the kitchen and bathrooms). And then 2 coats of a Dulux Emulsion type dealy over the top. So that would mean:

1) Make sure there's nothing causing the damp in the first place (there are some gutters to clean but I think it's mostly poor ventilation)
2) Scrape off old wallpaper, clean clean clean, sand, clean
3) For any stained spots, use BIN, skip the gardz
4) Seal the rest of the walls (inc interior facing) with 1 coat Gardz
5) Prime any previously mouldy walls with Zinser Mould Killing Primer, standard primer on the rest (I'm going to need those pennies elsewhere)
6) Paint the rest with any emulsion paint within 72 hours of priming

I've looked at so many how-to's but this seems like the way to do a professional level job rather than just sticking any old stuff over it and then calling in the pros 6 months later!

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Unless you can determine exactly what is causing the mold/mildew, it is possible it will be a recurring problem. It could be an insulation issue, or lack of vapor barrier, or something else.

I have removed a lot of wallpaper. FWIW, I usually prefer to use alternate methods to a steamer, as that is not always the easiest method.

Tackle one wall at a time, rather than the whole room. The areas gets messy quickly, so have a garbage bin in the room, and plastic tarps underneath everything, to protect the floor. tape over the electrical outlets and avoid getting water in there, or cut the power to that room.

Here is my approach, if interested:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah great thanks for the wallpaper tips!

It's a single brick house so there is no insulation, interior or exterior. Which is why I was nervous about using non-permeable solutions. The place just needs to be properly ventilated and heated. It's going to be a pricey winter but hopefully with the right prep work, the walls won't suffer and become a recurring issue in the future. An architect friend said to make sure the house can breathe, there are vents in all the walls and we will be opening windows but still, hard to say categorically that the place will always be warm enough and ventilated enough to stop condensation on the other side of the Gardz.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,757 Posts
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

If you're not a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register.

This thread is now closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.